【Chat】Are you afraid to chat in there?

I think everyone will make a mistake at once.

But no practice ,no progress.

Try to speak out in the class.

PS: Help me find if tere is any mistake.It is the first time for me replying in English.

I think everyone may make a mistake sometimes.

However , no practice , no progress.

Try to speak up in (the) class.

Help me find out if there is any mistake.

It's the first time for me to reply in English.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 回覆 154
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! Everyone

To tell the truth, I'm new here so I don't quite understand what you guys are talking about. That may be why I'm a little afraid to chat in here. Maybe you can tell me more about here,and I'll come here more often. Thanks!!

Just help yourself here. (*~laugh~*:p)

There are different kinds of topics disscussed, and you can just browse through what you are interested in. Just take it easy.

It seems you speak/write a good English. Hopefully we can have more disccusions here. ;-)After all, there are not so much people talking here.= ="

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

There are different kinds of topics disscussed, and you can just browse through what you are interested in. Just take it easy.

It seems you speak/write a good English. Hopefully we can have more disccusions here. ;-)After all, there are not so much people talking here.= ="

Indeed.

A new reply appears here each period of a few hours or even longer.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Being afraid won't slove any problem.

I feel writing and reading is easier than speaking.

When I'm in the place that I have to speak English with others,I usually forget the sentences which I thought before.

But writing is different,at least I can check the words I write down.

Though I'm always afraid to use the language that I'm not familiar with,I still try it hard.

Sorry, my English and grammar is poor,I hope you can understand what I mean.=_=

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

-There are different kinds of topics "being" discussed, and you can just browse "for" what you are interested in.

-It seems you speak/write good English. (no "a")

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Being afraid won't slove any problem.

I feel writing and reading is easier than speaking.

When I'm in the place that I have to speak English with others,I usually forget the sentences which I thought before.

But writing is different,at least I can check the words I write down.

Though I'm always afraid to use the language that I'm not familiar with,I still try it hard.

Sorry, my English and grammar is poor,I hope you can understand what I mean.=_=

Uhh...in what place?

Starting a sentence with the word "but" is not appropriate...

Nevertheless or however may be better.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

First of all, thank you!:E However, some opinions are added.

-There are different kinds of topics "being" discussed,

I do think it is OK leave out "being". Let's take a look.

The original sentence is like this:

There are differemt kinds of topic which are being discussed.

→There are differemt kinds of topic being discussed.

→There are differemt kinds of topic discussed.

The word "being" is not like other verbs, such as "talking" indicating a particular motion, so I think it can be left out.

-and you can just browse "for" what you are interested in.

Let's take a look at the dictionary.

browse through

[intransitive] to look through the pages of a book, magazine etc without a particular purpose, just looking at the most interesting parts

It can also be used when surfing on the Internet.

However, I agree with you on correcting it with "for" because he or she just searches for what he or she is interested in.

Thank you a lot! I am expecting more discussions.:)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Uhh...in what place?

The place like : my father's friend and his family are back to Taiwan from USA,

father alway forces me to speak English with them= =""

(even though they can speak Chinese well.)

However,I really don't know what I can chat with them.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Uhh...in what place?

You can start a sentence with a "but". The same thing goes for "and", it's just that elementary school teachers tend to discourage students from using it when teaching simple sentence structures.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

Gramatically, it's incorrect. It may be used in cases such as colloquil language (ie informal, conversational), magazines, or written in those books that are allowed for some particularly reasons (ie up to the author's decision and consideration^o)).

It's better to avoid making a habit of starting a sentence with "but" and "and", unless you're positively sure that you have to use it for whatever the reason is.

I always make heaps of grammatical errors in any way. It's particularly obvious in my writing at school (sigh:'(), but what can you do? Pratise! I don't really get embarrased when I make mistakes, instead, I feel frustrated (laugh~). I'd thought, "I've been here (Australia) for 2 year! What've I been doing? Am I going to screw my HSC (high school certificate, 'exam' we do for university here)? Then I'd try to calm myself down, "Work harder then; or else what can you do? Put your knowledge into action!" (deep down, I say this to myself when I'm really down , though I still lay back with a funny and awkward guilty......):)

I don't afraid of speaking English here (of course not literally "speaking" :p), but in my daily life, I tend to be lack of pronunciation and fluency-that's definitely because I don't speak it a lot, yet still, but certainly, more pratice leads to precision, just like our Mandarin and Taiwanese, isn't it?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Grammatically, it's incorrect. It may be used in cases such as colloquil language (ie informal, conversational), magazines, or written in those books that are allowed for some particularly reasons (ie up to the author's decision and consideration^o)).

It's better to avoid making a habit of starting a sentence with "but" and "and", unless you're positively sure that you have to use it for whatever the reason is.

Grammatically it's CORRECT. Google it. = =#

I always make heaps of grammatical errors in any way. It's particularly obvious in my writing at school (sigh:'(), but what can you do? Practise! I don't really get embarrassed when I make mistakes, instead, I feel frustrated (laugh~). I'd thought, "I've been here (Australia) for 2 years! What have I been doing? Am I going to screw my HSC (high school certificate, 'exam' we do for university here)? Then I'd try to calm myself down, "Work harder then; or else what can you do? Put your knowledge into action!" (deep down, I say this to myself when I'm really down , though I still lay back with funny and awkward guiltiness......):)

It took me about 4 years to be able to communicate in the language with almost no mistakes (elementary stage), so it should be the same for you. 一_一狠

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

If its grammatical, its always correct.

It took me about 4 years to be able to communicate in the language with almost no mistakes (elementary stage), so it should be the same for you.

Dont know. Everyones different. It took me about 5 or 6 years to speak/write in Chinese fluently.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Grammatically it's CORRECT. Google it. = =#

It took me about 4 years to be able to communicate in the language with almost no mistakes (elementary stage), so it should be the same for you. 一_一狠

Right-then it depends how and where you use it... (it's a language after all)

You meant English? 'with almost no mistakes,' I'm sure this goes for "everyone's different", as damoko had said.

My English is getting better (particularly during the time I'm spending at school :p), but it seems that my Chinese has stopped improving since I don't go to school in Taiwan anymore = =" However, my Chinese is still far better than my English, my English is better than my Taiwanese though (what a shame)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...
Grammatically it's CORRECT. Google it.

I'm pretty sure it's INCORRECT in Australia as I've yet to shake off the subliminal message of "DON'T DO IT!!!" from all the red crosses I got as a child everytime I started a sentence with "and" and "but". Since Elvila's in Australia, "grammatically, it's INCORRECT" is CORRECT in her circumstances. :p

Practise!

Just a side note, "practice" in Australia (and the UK for that matter).

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I'm pretty sure it's INCORRECT in Australia as I've yet to shake off the subliminal message of "DON'T DO IT!!!" from all the red crosses I got as a child everytime I started a sentence with "and" and "but". Since Elvila's in Australia, "grammatically, it's INCORRECT" is CORRECT in her circumstances. :p

Just a side note, "practice" in Australia (and the UK for that matter).

I meant to type "practice"...= ='

Noticed that you all get it from your teachers when you were kids? That's because they didn't want you to start a sentence with "and" or "but" because you were not familiar with its usage. 一_一狠 so " She's still in grade school in Australia" would be more fitting...= =""

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入