【Chat】Are you afraid to chat in there?

• 回覆 154
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope my raid here to correct a few English mistakes won't deter you from chatting on this board. Afterall, the only way you can learn is by making mistakes. Here goes:

I saw a subject about it in chatting board(?) today. Someone including me may be afraid to chat in English, because they think that they will make many mistakes. Do you have the same question? Talk it!

I saw a thread about this on the forum today. Some people, including me, may be afraid to chat in English because they think that they will make many mistakes. Do you have the same problem? Let's discuss!

Note: Question is used when, say, you don't understand something. For example, "I have a question about this Maths problem."

Problem is used when you are facing with a complication. Like, "I have problem finding my way to the physics room."

I'm guessing on the Chinese dictionary, both of them shows up as "問題", causing the confusion.

i was afraid of to chat on the board , but from now on , it changed cause i working hard and try my best,even you

have something wronng in paragrph,that's ok ,cuz English is not my first language ,so sorry about it

I was afraid to chat on this board initially but now it's different since I'm working hard and am trying my best. Even if you have something wrong in your paragraph, that's ok because English is not my first language so I apologize.

Comment: I'm.....quite confused what you're trying to say here. Mind to clarify? :)

I think chat in there can improve our English

But I am afraid of make mistake...

Because my translation is poor...

I think chatting in here can improve our English. However, I am afraid to make mistakes because my translation is poor.

Comment. I don't understand the "my translation is poor". What do you mean? Also, you don't need a new line everytime you write a new sentence. You only need to do that when you want to start a new paragraph.

touch my heart...

I afraid of speaking, or writing English

but I'll try...

"touch my heart" - hmmmmm - This thread touched my heart - is that what you mean?

I'm afraid of speaking or writing in English but I'll try...

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

this topic has made me to remember a proverb ,which was said that“Difficult to imagine the reaction is not to avoid or bypass them, but to face them, deal with them in a progressive and enlightened manner with their struggle”(想象困難做出的反應,不是逃避或繞開它們,而是面對它們,同它們打交道,以一種進取的和明智的方式同它們奮鬥。 )

It's very clearly that we don't live in the environment of common usage of English.So if we want to strengthen out ability to wielding English.Towards many highschool students the mainland China, they often treated English as a totally tool of get scores, almost surpassed the basic function of a languager like,gained more useful knowledge though it , chating with someone, wherever. from this They always fear for make mistakes. With thus intention,on doubt that the majority of them don't want to use English everywhere except the EnglishClass. however, Even through In the English Class,we have to take off a lot of time to learn the usege of words other than the communications of each other. In this regard , these way makes the English a very dull gay.

Due to the limited time I could only end my post here.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I'm afraid of type in English.

Although I can understand everyone says , I don't really know what I can type

and how to type what I want to say

there is nothing you should be afraid .

just follow your thinking to type it!

maybe what you type isn't very right but

I can sure everybody can understand what you mean!

finally!practice makes perfect!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

so...I can talk in English that like I use Chinese ?!

practice makes perfect...

sure...I think i'll try to type what I want to express ^ ^

actually

my English is poor :P

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
afraid can do nothing...

just talk and don't be afraid.

they weren't mind the mistakes of what you talk..

Being afraid will do nothing for you...

Just talk and don't be afraid. They won't mind when you make mistakes.

Comment: Who's they?

I'm afraid of type in English.

Although I can understand everyone says , I don't really know what I can type

and how to type what I want to say

I'm afraid to type in English. Although I can understand what everyone is saying here, I don't really know how to respond.

this topic has made me to remember a proverb ,which was said that“Difficult to imagine the reaction is not to avoid or bypass them, but to face them, deal with them in a progressive and enlightened manner with their struggle”(想象困難做出的反應,不是逃避或繞開它們,而是面對它們,同它們打交道,以一種進取的和明智的方式同它們奮鬥。 )

This topic made me remember a proverb which states,.......

Hmmmmm....you fed that Chinese line into Google translator didn't you? It's...not the best translation. It will be years and years before computers can translate anything perfectly from one language to another. (though it's getting there....somewhat)

I'm guessing, it's something along the lines of:

"One should not avoid or run away from difficulties. Instead, one should face difficulties and work with it in a progressive and wise manner."

While Chinese can make perfect and elegant sense using long sentences, English tends to be the opposite. Less information per sentence is better.

It's very clearly that we don't live in the environment of common usage of English.So if we want to strengthen out ability to wielding English.

It's very clear that we don't live in an environment that allows us to use English daily. So, if we want to strengthen our English ability....

Comment: You didn't finish the sentence.

Towards many highschool students the mainland China, they often treated English as a totally tool of get scores, almost surpassed the basic function of a languager like,gained more useful knowledge though it , chating with someone, wherever.

Many high school students in mainland China treat English as a tool to get exam scroes. They do not treat English as a language that can be used to gain useful knowledge or for communication.

from this They always fear for make mistakes. With thus intention,on doubt that the majority of them don't want to use English everywhere except the EnglishClass.

As a result, they are afraid of making mistakes in English, causing the majority of them to deter from using English everywhere except during English class.

however, Even through In the English Class,we have to take off a lot of time to learn the usege of words other than the communications of each other. In this regard , these way makes the English a very dull gay.

However, the English classes place emphasis in learing the usage of words rather than using English to communicate with eachother. In this regard, English classes become dull and boring.

Comment:.......use the term "gay" sparingly. In fact, if you really want, use "lame" instead but refrain from using it as much as you can. Inappropriate usage of this term can lead to unintentional insulting of others.

Due to the limited time I could only end my post here.

I'm ending my post here due to the limited time I have right now.

why shouid we be afraid of chatting on the board?? it does no harm, even you make a slight mistake!! and even you make tons mistake ?? so what?? nobody would blame you or ......bite you for it(just kidding)!!

It does no harm, even if you make a slight mistake or tons of mistakes.

the reason i usually don't chat on the board is that..........you have to wait (maybe for long time) to see the response of others(sometimes you don't even get responded!!

)

Sometimes you don't even get a response.

Maybe because there's not enough people here. :p

There is nothing you should be afraid of. Just type whatever comes to mind. You may make mistakes but I'm sure everybody can understand what you mean! Finally, practice makes perfect!

Comment: I love it how people keep quoting, "Practice makes perfect." One of the partners from one my internships said, "PERFECT practice makes perfect," and I find that very true. If you make an effort to PRACTICE making as little mistakes as possible, eventually, you'll become perfect. Of course, you'll probably start off making millions of mistakes but if you learn from your mistakes and don't make them again the next time, in time, you become perfect. :) (theoretically speaking of course. Noone can ever REALLY be perfect >_>)

so...I can talk in English that like I use Chinese ?!

So....I can talk in English like I'm talking in Chinese?!

Response: To be specific, just say whatever comes in mind. Be wary of grammar usage though. English grammar is very different to Chinese grammar (almost reversed) so say what you usually say in Chinese just make an effort that it makes sense in English (to the best of your ability of course. They'll be people in here correcting your mistakes for you and help you improve).

so I am .....

but I'm brave in silly....

So is mine....but I'm brave and silly....

Well,as for me,I'm not really afraid of chatting in here with other members.

But I guess I'm slightly lazy to reply the topics here,I frequently just read the responses left by other members.

Oh,I'd be glad to discuss or chat in English with others since English has always been my favorite.

Anyway,let's keep working on it and I hope to make some progress in English as well.

Sounds like you don't need much improvement...

Few comments though:

1. Make the first and second sentence one sentence.

2. "to reply TO the topics"

3. With the second sentence (which should be part of the first sentence), end that sentence at "here,". "I frequently just read..." should be a new sentence.

4. "been my favorite...." - subject?

5. Don't hit "Enter" everytime you write a new sentence. Only start a new line when you start a new paragraph.

Hehe...so much response here. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

Why I have not seeing anyone say they are afraid to chat with others abroad~= =?

Every time when I was travel outside with my parents,I was really scared to talk with anyone.

Don't you think it would be an embarrassed thing with using the wrong grammar sentence?

Especially is talking with am foreign man who you never met before.

At least,it is a difficult thing to me...^o)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Oh, well, I am honestly not that afraid of chatting in English, since my stupidity and ignorance is unlimited XD I mean I usually chatted with my international friends on MSN, such as Thai people or Koreans or even Taiwanese. We dont actually care about grammar mistakes or whatever happened, so it usually causes harmful results on essays, LOL. Gradually I began posting some English articles in my blog, but the problem is that no one's gonna correct my errors T.T

Anyway, thanks Deep Blue for having such a great board, lol. Someone's gonna modify our mistakes if we did anything wrong... hahaha so now i can practice my writings skills more efficiently.

Oh btw the thing is that I dont understand why when I talked to internation students I felt comfortable, and there's no problems with our communications. But while I was talking to Americans, my tongue always got stuck. More specifically, it's completely useless in front of people who speak English as their first languagesT.T I have been here for more than a year and it's still a major problem of my speaking. OMG I need some suggestions><

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Tomfu:

Sounds like you're fine. Don't know why you get tongue tied. It's probably a psychological thing. I have a friend who's been in Australia since she was 9. Her English is absolutely fine yet everytime I tried to get her to come out, the minute she hears they'll be Caucasians, she backs out and her only reason is, "I don't know how to interact with Caucasians," or "I'm scared of talking with Caucasians," and I'm like, "Isn't that ENGLISH you're using at the moment?" = =|||

You probably just need to force yourself to speak as freely as you ..... speak right now. (or type - lol)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Psychological problem!!! Yayaya that's what I was talking about, lol

Honestly I am interested in psychology, it's even on my college major list right now><

But the thing is that I am AFRAID to talk to Caucasians. I didnt made much mistakes while talking to international students, or I made some but just didnt notice them, lol, same thing happened when I talked to ABCs, I could just speak freely with them, but talking to Americans is a huge obstacle for me. From listening, speaking, comprehension and finding subjects, I have never defeated my inside fear= =

I wish they dont consider me as a boring guy, lol, but I guess it's already an unchangeable thoughtT.T

Anyway, my biggest opponent is nothing but myself..............

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I wish they dont consider me as a boring guy, lol, but I guess it's already an unchangeable thoughtT.

Conclusion: It's a psychological thing. You need to get over it. Just talk like you usually speak with ABC's and international students. In other words, just present yourself. You don't know whether they'll find you boring until you try. Likewise, they're not going to know you better if you zip your mouth up and not say a word simply because you're too self-conscious.

Anyways, you've identified your problem and worked out what you need to do. Just DO it.

PS. They're PEOPLE. Not Aliens from outer space. The only reason why it's a problem is because YOU'RE making it a problem. You're brain's going, "OMG! Caucasians!" and you panick before you even start dealing with them. Put aside the racial differences (that is, IGNORE the fact that they're Caucasians) and just deal with their personality. That's really what interacting with people is all about. Culture, race etc.etc. is just extra topping.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

self-consciousXDDDDD

but i guess you are rightT.T The only reason why it's a problem is because I made it a problem. And yeah, I considered them too high and myself too low.

yeah I think I need more confidence and braveness, and maybe some more stupidities, lol

Thanks for your encouragement, it helps a lot. And Nike's slogan helps, too, lol.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入