【Chat】What kind of English accent do you like?

• 回覆 57
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha..don't worry liltwnboiz. I was just voicing my opinion. I just find it interesting how people can think Australian accent is professional when it's usually viewed (incorrectly) as an unsophisticated society. Well...I guess we are pretty laid back....*shrug*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Australian sounds professional? Really? Have you heard really broad, Australian accents? ie. Steve Irwin's? How's that professional? Thick Australian accent can be quite intelligible sometimes.

Imo australian and british accent are quite the same. Perhaps its because Ive not met any australians with a thick accent yet, but so far I have no problem understanding it lol :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Imo australian and british accent are quite the same.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

*shakes head* No...not the same....even ones WITHOUT a thick accent don't sound the same.

Hmmmm - here's a video made by some Australian girl that explains the Australian accent - broadly that is. Good explanation I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoX42-0Mvr4

And here's 2 videos of Rove interviewing Daniel Radcliffe. Everyone else in the show have the Australian accent and Daniel has the British accent. See if you can hear the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYbctYwWG6w&mode=related&search=

In fact, this video (the above) has 3 accents going. Australian, American and British. It's good fun listening to. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F50YMYkIg0&mode=related&search=

This one's just Rove (Australian) and Daniel (British)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99auuMc1W5A&mode=related&search=

And another one of just Rove and Daniel. See if you can hear any difference. :p

Personally, I think I go between the normal Australian accent to....what I call my weird, mixed accent. ie. A mix between American, Australian and some British - coupled with Chinese expressions. ^.^|||

I cringe everytime I think about how the Australian accent is derived from British convicts' English.

Not all Australians were decendants of convicts. In fact, the Australian accent is incredibly interesting. Of course, it was originally largely cockney but we have many people of Irish background so we also have a tint of Irish (not entirely - more expressions). Coupled with the large amount of immigrants back around the '70's and our large exposure to the US media, the final accent is a complex mix of many. Also, depending where in Australia you live, the accent will vary, yet again.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

0_o

Wow - I guess Ive only known the newsreaders one. Looks like australian accents are harder than I thought. Maybe the newsreaders on sky news are all from Britain?! lol Thanks for these clips :p but I have a question - why do people in Neighbours talk with a more British-ish accent instead of the Australian?

ps dont get me wrong - Im not a soap addict (Neighbours excepted) :P

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Neighbours? They sound pretty Aussie to me o.0 - not that I watch Neighbours much but when I do manage to flick to Channel 10 during that time slot, they sound fine to me. I..really don't see how British accent is the same as Australian accent. Maybe it takes some time to hear the differences? I've listened to all three accents all my life (including Scottish and Irish accent) so I can pick the differences fairly easily. I guess it's just a matter of exposure. Like, I can't tell the difference between Canadian and American accent (though REALLY American accent, as in, more down south, or Texan accent I can pick out)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Well, I like American accent, of course....and I also really love British and Scottish accents.

there are many accents in the US like eg.(eg.= example)(US standard in case u dont know) Texas,California ,NewYork,Boston and Washington

i like NewYork and California

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Thanks for sharing the clips!!!

I haven't seen Rove Life for a while. He is really a decent funny guy. Feel sorry for him when I heard his wife passed away.

Back to the topic~

I like Australian accents more than American accents. And as a matter of fact, many of my Australian friends would easily name reasons that American accents are awful (no offense).

The differences between American and Australian accents are easily identified by listening the way certain vowels are pronounced. As referring to what MikiRei just said, even just hearing a bunch of Australian talking to each other, you could also tell the differences and guess their background of parenthood. Since Australia is a multicultural and multilingual country, it's reasonably expected that the variety of accents is appearing everywhere. And undeniably this situation also applies in every other countries regardless of language they are using, e.g. Taiwan.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

> Have you been watching "Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader", hosted by Rove?

Honestly, I haven't watched any of his program lately. But I have seen its ads on TV several times, and I have to admit that "those celebrities are nuts". (Please somebody help them anyway!!!) (Maybe we should consider an appropriate educational qualification for being a celebrity)

As I remember one of students surfing on this web site mentioned you are doing IT related course, if that's true, then probably we are in the same area.

I am a Ph.D. research student majoring in Computing Science in UTS. (http://it.uts.edu.au/contact/view/ctony)

Interestingly saying, probably only UNSW and Uni of Western Sydney are the ones I never studied before.

I finish my bachelor in Mac Uni and Master in Uni of Sydney.

Back to the topic.

I also like British accents which sound more gentle.

Australian accents sound more like a British living in the jungle :D.

(Thank you, Steve Irwin!!! I like him except the time he put his daughter beside dangerous animals.)

But I am proud of having Australian accents. That's how we can be differentiated from those arrogant Americans (I know not every Americans are arrogant, please don't argue with me).

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

So many people prefer British XD

I like British accent, too. I can remember the first time I noticed its feature was in a British movie called Harry Potter.

The characters in this movie, speak British in special way. Are their speaking too bombastic or that's just exactly how British speaks?

Hermoine, who's the character in Harry Potter, impressed me a lot because of her accent. I can even disguise my accent as hers. That's really interesting.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
British movie called Harry Potter.

Harry Potter is NOT a British film.

Are their speaking too bombastic or that's just exactly how British speaks?

Yes, that's how they speak. All of the actors in Harry Potter are British but that DOES NOT mean that it's a British film. Harry Potter is most definitely American.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Yes, that's how they speak. All of the actors in Harry Potter are British but that DOES NOT mean that it's a British film. Harry Potter is most definitely American.

Yeah, the movies' got quite a cliches

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Now why would you say that?

The author's Brit,

the novels are Brit,

the actors are Brit;

I believe even he directors are Brit.

So, what's American about Harry?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

The author's Brit,

the novels are Brit,

the actors are Brit;

The producer is Warner - theyve spoided the whole series havent they? Personally, I think the format is too american and people just cant stand it :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

引用:

作者: spacedunce-5 檢視文章

The author's Brit,

the novels are Brit,

the actors are Brit;

The producer is Warner - theyve spoided the whole series havent they? Personally, I think the format is too american and people just cant stand it

SOME directors are British. Chris Columbus is American. He directed the first two films (and they were atrocious). Alfonso Cuaron, who's MEXICAN, directed the 3rd film. Only the 4th and 5th film were directed by English directors.

It's produced by AMERICA and as damoko said, the format's Hollywood. That's why it's American. JUST because you have British actors or the author is British (oh, but the SCRIPT WRITER'S American) doesn't make it British. In fact, when I watch the film, certain American jokes slip out and my friend and I would frown because it felt out of place.

From the top of my head, "Sense and Sensibility" was directed by Ang Lee - Taiwanese. As for the actors, they're ALL British. Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman. The original author was British but does that make it a British film? Hardly. It was produced in America, so it's an American film. Plenty of Australian directors direct film in Hollywood but we never call them Australian films. Just like LOTR series, directed by Peter Jackson isn't considered a New Zealand film, nor is "Brokeback Mountain" considered Taiwanese because of Ang Lee. Ang Lee's were only considered Asian films when he produced them in Asia eg. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

If you want an actual British Film, watch "Shaun of the Dead" (if memory serves) and "28 Days Later" or "28 Weeks Later". "Billy Elliot" is also a fantastic British film.

Oh, and here's a nice, comedic explanation about the difference between British and American films. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
haaha, how on earth funny it is!

Wrong expression. "how on earth" is used when you find a certain something incredulous.

eg. How on earth did you do that!?

Just say, "That's incredibly funny," or something along those lines.

Do antone has Scottish accent?

Who's Antone?

A real and traditional Scottish accent makes me comfused sometimes honestly.

Likewise. Takes a while to get used to.

correction: comfused = confused.

Also, rephrase:

Honestly, a real and traditional Scottish accent sometimes confuses me.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

引用:

作者: 冬風 軒 檢視文章

ooops, that's wrong spell

correction: Does anyone have Scottish accent?

thanks for your correction

Remember, "anyone" is a singular noun, because it means any "one" person.

And thanks is intransistive (can't be directly followed by an object).

Looks like you beat me to it (the correction).

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入