【Chat】favorite english novel...!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 回覆 113
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite book is "Jurassic Park" by Michael Crichton( had to google search for the author xd ). I remember first reading it in 5th or 6th grade, don't know if I remember correctly...really love the way the story is told, like putting the pieces of a puzzle fall together and then total chaos break out.

When I read novels, I generally like to put myself in the place of the main character, to see what the author plans for him/her(I have no idea how to tell the difference between writing styles XD).

I've read the Harry Potter novels and they're ok, just seems like J.K.Rowing is new spells and magics in new books.

"Angels and Demons" follows almost the same plot as "the DaVinci Code".

I like the Jack Ryan novels by Tom Clancy, they're like watching a movie in progress("The Hunt for Red October", "Patriot Games", "The Sum of All Fears")

I also have large collection of Star Wars novels(minus the New Jedi Order series).

"Life of Pi" has a fun storyline.

I tried to finish "Sophie's World", but it was too dull for my liking.

"The Devil Wears Prada" is fun to read.

God0_o ....there are so many books for me to discuss.

Anyway, I love "Jurassic Park", period.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, I think that Dan Brown's novel sticks too tight to his own pattern, you know.

Most of his novel starts with a murder, and ends with romance and sometimes...well, sex.

Like Digital Fortress, The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons...etc.

But actually I'm quite impressed to his ability to make one of his novel different from another,

although they're limited by the same pattern.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Haha - it's BECAUSE of his repetitive plot devices that got me annoyed with him.

1st read of his writing style: cool....

2nd read: Hmmmm - I'm seeing a pattern here already

3rd read: *yawwwwn* I know the ending already after page 20

4th read: *ditches book before you're even halfway through*

Each novel is different to the next one? Nah....I reckon they're all the same, different theme, different settings, different characters (most of the time). The rest? Same. *zips mouth for I've done enough Dan Brown bashing*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I'll be here all day if I were to lists - I remember there was a thread somewhere to recommend English books? My list is there (I'll find it and link it next time)

As for now, I'll say Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy - for now anyways.

any hints as to what the novel is about?

might consider buying a copy....when I get my next paycheck

too bad there's so few places one can get English books in Taiwan.= =#

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Being pretty much indulged in science fiction myself,

I've read a few novels based on the Star Wars universe and I must recommend

"The Last Command " by Timothy Zahn as a must-read.

While flinging into pure old fashioned fantasy, the Lord of the Rings and the Dragonlance Trilogy.

While you sink deep to a man's story of ascending into Godhood reading Dragonlance

the Lord of the Rings provide a nice remix of medieval style to those already finished the Chinese version.

Gosh, now I'm craving for novels from the Warhammer 40k universe.

Which is very hard to find in Taiwan.

To name a few, Grey Knights, Crimson Tears, the Eisenhorn Trilogy and the Horus Heresy

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
It's a trilogy.

I swear, people here don't use Wikipedia enough. :p

Thanks, I'll look for it tonight.

Nods, I'm one of them xd

I'd rather ask than search. (who knows if what you find is actually true 0_o )

Being pretty much indulged in science fiction myself,

I've read a few novels based on the Star Wars universe and I must recommend

"The Last Command " by Timothy Zahn as a must-read.

While flinging into pure old fashioned fantasy, the Lord of the Rings and the Dragonlance Trilogy.

While you sink deep to a man's story of ascending into Godhood reading Dragonlance

the Lord of the Rings provide a nice remix of medieval style to those already finished the Chinese version.

A Star Wars Fan !!!

"The Last Command" is a nice ending to the Thrawn trilogy, but one has got to read the first two books("Heir to the Empire" and "Dark Force Rising") to get into the situation first.

I would like to read the Dragonlance trilogy, but with such a large collection of books I have no idea where to start ><

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I LOVE THE "MATILDA"

thats pretty easy and funny, though^_^

otherwise it have been adapted to the movie, especially the movie is AWESOME!!!

turely show wat we imagine the story's character should be in my mind!

and it also wont let the reader (such like junior student) find it too thick to read !!

BE FOND OF ENGLISH!!!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

You could try out the Earthsea cycle by Ursula K. Le Guin

which include

* A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)

* The Tombs of Atuan (1972)

* The Farthest Shore (1974)

* Tehanu: The Last Book of Earthsea (1990)

* The Other Wind (2001)

I like the Earthsea cycle over the Lord of the Rings mostly because it focuses more on the characters and not the whole world, there are big events, but they all start out from the main character of each book.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
i think Pride and Prejudice

maybe some people agree

i like such romantic novels

I like romantic novels such as "Pride and Prejudice".

the sense of lonely in it is described very realistic.

The sense of loneliness was described very realistically in the novel.

"Pride and Prejudice" is one of my all time favourites. Pity hardly anyone appreciate classics anymore. Try other Jane Austen books. They're all great read (though "Persuasion" was a tad bit boring. "Emma" was very funny though :p )

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 1 month later...

recent faves

Bittersweet Sixteen , by Carrie Karasyov & Jill Kargman

A Doll's House, by Henrik Ibsen

Invisible Cities (!), by Italo Calvino

deconstructivism....the more I reserch it, the more I adore it.

resonance

I'm broke recently : (

(don't suggest me to "borrow" a book because I try to save all the classics & I underline sentences : |)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

My favourite is The Silmarillion by Tolkien. Well, its not a novel actually. Youll think its much like a history textbook if you have never read The Lord of the Rings before lol

Heres a bit of info capped from wiki

The Silmarillion is a collection of J. R. R. Tolkien's mythopoeic works, edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in 1977. It tells of the ages prior to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

and click the link below for more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silmarillion

This book is definitely for those who addict to The Lord of the Rings (well, Im one of them :p) Believe me, if you arent a BIG fan of LOTR, just give up reading it! Itll make you get bored and fall asleep very very quickly!

PS - LORT = The Lord of the Rings

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Raise up your feet if you like these:

Paul Auster

Harlan Coben

John Connolly

Susanna Clarke

Raise up your FEET if youve wasted your money on these:

The Rule of Four

The Seven Deadly Wonders

wow! im a great thread ender *cheers

this was so popular and none replied since i did.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入