【Chat】favorite english novel...!?

yea.... so whats your favorite english novel!? or writer!?

have anyone heard of Ian McEwan!? his book atonement is pretty good!!! the ending was spectacular even though it was kind of sexual at the beginning..... lol

short story i like one called the yellow wallpaper... it was talking about how a woman was driven to crazy by staring at a yellow wallpaper... pretty shocking i think....

anyways.....

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 回覆 113
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be here all day if I were to lists - I remember there was a thread somewhere to recommend English books? My list is there (I'll find it and link it next time)

As for now, I'll say Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy - for now anyways.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...
My favorite novel is " Harry Potter " !!!!!

It is a masterpiece !

I love Harry very much !!!!

I don`t like Harry Potter ...

I think I am too old to read it.

Although I know this novel is popular in all kind of age.

But I can`t make me enjoy it.

My favorite novel is "The Da Vinci Code."

This novel is so cool that I have read it for more than five times!

And it theach me many knowledge that I have never heard before.

(But some people say that there are many fake knowledge in it.)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

For Harry Potter - I don't know, I still read it but I'm getting sick of it - especially with the latest book in the series. Harry annoys me more and more :p

As for Da Vinci Code - it has one of the MOST appalling writing style ever. As for the "knowledge" you say, yeah, provided if they're real, it's interesting. I certainly found it interesting when I first read the book but I couldn't be bothered to read it again because, well, the writing style - I can't STAND it. It's like watching a movie. Fast read but not worth re-reading. Read Dan Brown's other work and you'll see it all follows the same pattern. Gets boring far too fast and I wouldn't REALLY count on the so called "facts" he claimed to have weaved into the plot. Considering the amount of errors he wrote about codes and ciphers in his earlier work, "Digital Fortress" (a book that got most computing students laughing their head off).......heh

Though I have to say, it would be awesome if the so-called "facts" are really facts. In fact, I won't be TOO surprised if it were fact (especially the bit where Christ's divinity was ELECTED for political purposes. That was just divine :p) but *shrug* - Dan Brown's a little suss for me.

To be honest - brutally honest anyways, Da Vinci Code only got famous because it touched on controversial subject - not because of the plot or the writing style. The plot was Hollywood style in my opinion.

I HIGHLY recommend "His Dark Materials". If it interests you, the first book of the trilogy is being made into a movie as we speak. It's called "The Golden Compass" in the States but "The Northern Lights" everywhere else :p

READ IT! THAT'S more of a classic novel. Realise Da Vinci Code hasn't won any awards :p (And don't say it's because it touched on controversial subjects. "His Dark Materials" portrayed ideas of religion in a MORE blasphemous way than Da Vinci)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I was bored to bits with Deception Point - I didn't even bother finishing it because it was the same style, same format. You know the ending before you even read it. It's like a watching a B Hollywood movie (it IS a B Hollywood movie)

*shrug*

Whatever suits you I guess.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
But my favorite English novel is Sense &Sensibility and all of Jane's work

Although someone thinks those novels are quite old.....

Yes, I know what you mean. What a shame! Classics are good BECAUSE they're timeless. People will continue to read them throughout history. As for Jane Austen's works, I prefer Pride and Prejudice :p

Sally Lockheart Triology.

Sally Lockheart? Never heard. Might check it out. :p The only American author I could think of (at least I think she's American) is Louisa May Alcott's and her Little Women and Aunt Hill series.

Another series I like was the Abhorsen trilogy. It was fantasy though and slightly for children (I think it was for children) but nonetheless, I thought it was good. It's by Garth Nix. (I think he's Australian)

I'll recommend two more good Australian series/novel.

For novel, Sumner Locke Elliot's "Careful, He Might Hear You"

As for trilogy, my ABSOLUTE favourite, Lian Hearn's "The Otori Trilogy" (well, it's got 4 books now so not really a trilogy).

The order goes as follow:

1. Across the Nightingale Floor

2. Grass for his Pillows

3. The Brilliance of the Moon

4. The Harsh Cry of the Heron

For Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" (oh PLEASE read this. You DON'T know what you're missing)

1. The Northern Lights (or The Golden Compass for North American release)

2. The Subtle Knife

3. The Amber Spyglass

Abhorsen trilogy is:

1. Sabriel

2. Lirael

3. Abhorsen

For a bit of modern literature, these are my friend's recommendation:

Chuck Palahniuk's "Fight Club" and "Choke". I've never read them myself - but I want to :p

And finally, I think this is the ULTIMATE classic of all, Douglas Adams' "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Probably one of the MOST hilarious book EVER written. It rocks BIG TIME! I'm not going to list the order. I think you can buy the entire set (I think there are 6 books) as one book these days.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

But the story of "Angels & Demons" is so impossible that i can`t believe the most part.

If I have the chance to choose.I like Digital Fortress the most.

That's Dan's first novel. it's also fasinating...but it's not quite long as the other work.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Sad as hell by Ari Behn- it is a folk tale so i do not think this counts as a novel but i like it so i put it down anyway.

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

the story is just quite cute. At the age of thirty-one, Gilbert moved with her husband to the suburbs of New York and began trying to get pregnant, only to realize that she wanted neither a child nor a husband. Three years later, after a protracted divorce, she embarked on a yearlong trip of recovery, with three main stops: Rome, for pleasure (mostly gustatory, with a special emphasis on gelato); an ashram outside of Mumbai, for spiritual searching; and Bali, for "balancing." These destinations are all on the beaten track, but Gilbert's exuberance and her self-deprecating humor enliven the proceedings: recalling the first time she attempted to speak directly to God, she says, "It was all I could do to stop myself from saying, 'I've always been a big fan of your work.'"

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
In fact,I also like "Angels & Demons."

This book has the same writter with "The Da Vinci Code."

There are both wrote by "Dan Brown."

But the story of "Angels & Demons" is so impossible that i can`t believe the most part.

Will~

Although it very unbelievable,I still like it.

Just want to do some corrections.

This book is written by the same writer (but the better would be "author") as "The DaVinci Code".

They are both written by Dan Brown. (no quotation marks because Dan Brown is a name, not a book title)

As for "Angels and Demons" - of COURSE it's impossible! The book is written in Hollywood blockbuster style. If it were EVER to happen, it'll be a global event. Won't happen anytime soon. However, yes, it's a fast, action novel for some light enjoyment.

That's Dan's first novel. it's also fasinating...but it's not quite long as the other work.

Digital Fortress....ok - when I read it, I liked it - but that was before I entered uni. Now I've been through 2 years of uni (Software Engineering) so I know more about computers, codes and ciphers than I did when I read this in year 11. Anyways, cut the long story short, Digital Fortress was COMPLETE NONSENSE!! EVERYTHING he wrote about in regards to codes and ciphers, down to the mathematicians whom he said had written papers for certain algorithms or ciphering techniques etc.etc. were COMPLETE NONSENSE. He even dared to MAKE UP mathematicians for the cause of trying to make his novel sound plausible. Just check the following URL:

http://becomingparanoid.com/2006/03/13/digital-fortress-what-dan-brown-got-wrong/

Ok - I'm sorry if I'm flipping at everyone who says they like Dan Brown's book but this man really have no shame. Ok - FINE that he didn't claim that the things he wrote in "Digital Fortress" were true but dedicating his book to what he claims to be two ex-NSA workers who helped him on the book give readers the false idea that all the "technical" *cough cough* stuff he wrote in the novel were true.

As for his other books, no comments. I enjoyed them (except Deception Point. It was UBER yawn) but then again, it's not within the field of my expertise so I don't know if it were true. With the amount of trash he tossed up in "Digital Fortress", I'm not sure whether I want to believe if anything he wrote in the book were true but whatever. When I read it, it seemed plausible but "Digital Fortress" is one laughable book. I bet people in NSA are like, "So who were the two idiots that helped him in this book?"

I guess I just want to drive the point that I think Dan Brown was famous for ALL THE WRONG REASONS. Writing style? Trash. Plotline? Just watch a Hollywood movie! It's all been done before. Stuff he claims to be true in his novel? Questionable........

Anyways....I'll end my rant....sorry...

Actually I spelled "Lockhart" wrong. It's LOCKHART and not heart.

Ok - I'll check

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Yeah!!

I have read it before.

It`s very exciting!!

But I don`t believe that there has a huge government department.

If it really has,it`s impossible nobody knows!!

In fact , I don`t believe most of Dan`s novel.

I only like the story and the originality.

Just want to do some corrections.

This book is written by the same writer (but the better would be "author") as "The DaVinci Code".

They are both written by Dan Brown. (no quotation marks because Dan Brown is a name, not a book title)

Thanks a lot

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

NSA actually exists. When it was first founded, a common joke made about it was that NSA represents "No Such Agency" because, well, they didn't want people to know about its existence but it really exists.

http://www.nsa.gov/

Though, well, if it's yet another government hoax...:p - nah, I'm kidding. NSA actually exists, THAT part, he didn't make up. It's the load of crap that he tossed up and claiming that NSA actually uses these trash is what makes the book more of a joke book than an actual novel :p

I beg to differ. It's Hollywood movie plot style. CAN'T be original. Original in probably the subject matter he based it around but in terms of how the plot rolls, not so. Anyways, I'll stop bashing him.

In fact , I don`t believe most of Dan`s novel.

More corrections:

But (in fact, using but in the beginning of sentences if bad grammar) I don't believe the existence of this huge government department.

It if really exists, people wouldn't know about it.

(In fact, yes, people didn't know about it AT FIRST. Then it blew over :p)

I only like the story and its originality.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

oh...I understand what you mean.Actually,I don't know many about internet or computer...so I feel that novel is imaging...but now l'll probably change my mind.

ps:my English is still terrible now.There are lots of feelings I couldn't teel in English...That makes me feel so sad.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
oh...I understand what you mean.Actually,I don't know many about internet or computer...so I feel that novel is imaging...but now l'll probably change my mind.

ps:my English is still terrible now.There are lots of feelings I couldn't teel in English...That makes me feel so sad.

What's there to be sad? Means you have room for improvement. Feel happy. By the way, you're English isn't too bad. The worse I've encountered was using English vocabulary but arranging them in Chinese grammar form. = =|||

Corrections:

Actually,I don't know much about internet or computer...so I thought the novel was imaginative.

There are many emotions/feelings that I cannot express in English.

This makes me feel so sad.

If you want to know more ways of expressing yourself in English, quickest way is to read. So just read. You'll get there. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I like The Da Vinci Code ,too!!! I have two books.

one is the novel,the other is the reference book.

the reference book has many explanation about The Da Vinci Code.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

um , I would like to share something else than Harry Potter or Da Vinci Code.

recently, I've finished one book called "China Cry."

I'm sure quite a lot people don't know about this book.

( actually it is a autobiography of Nora Lam, who had great devotion in religion, died in 2004 )

The story was about a woman ( Nora Lam ) who was born in the period which was almost the end of WWII.

As everyone knows, Mao had taken the government thereafter.

In the book, the author describe the suffer of the people from those "re-educations" .

With God's help, she then escaped from the red China as an refugee and started a new life in Hong Kong.

But the life in Hong Kong was still a tragedy because her husband abused her.

For her and her children's safety, they moved to America.

There she started to promote her belief to others and she even had came to Taiwan.

This book is quite religious but besides those "God things" ( no offense ), I gained some different views of red China.

anyway, I'll recommand you guys to read this.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入