【Question】Can my English be better if I chat in here?Cuz my English is poor.

• 2 months later...

The main problem is, especially in Asian countries, English is not look upon as a language but scattering symbols. That is,since the symbols indicate meanings, we can only see them in written forms, but not spoken forms. Then, it is not a tool for communication; it is for reading. The staggeringly beautiful little butterfly flying through air will die as paintings on the paper.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Scattering symbols? Lol. I think the real problem is that it's treated as some scary subject that you must do well in or all hell break loose. (Hell, being parents :p)

hmm....

In Taiwan, all the English tests make emphasis on reading and writing. That's my point. But I can not agree with you anymore.:)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
But I can not agree with you anymore

But I can't agree with you more. (not anymore)

In Taiwan, all the English tests make emphasis on reading and writing.

Yeah, I noticed. Not to mention, emphasis on multiple choice and fill in the blank. People focus on getting the correct answer and give students the illusion that their English is very good just by scoring high marks - only to be rudely shocked when they actually arrive in an English-speaking country. = =|||

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
But I can't agree with you more. (not anymore)

Yeah, I noticed. Not to mention, emphasis on multiple choice and fill in the blank. People focus on getting the correct answer and give students the illusion that their English is very good just by scoring high marks - only to be rudely shocked when they actually arrive in an English-speaking country. = =|||

I hope that the above situatuion will not become a nightmare when I visit those countries.= ="

However, I believe that many students already consider the illusion to be a substance.:s

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Oh! So long since I visited here last time.:E

I hope that the above situatuion will not become a nightmare when I visit those countries.= ="

However, I believe that many students already consider the illusion to be a substance.:s

I think you mean a lot of students mistake scoring high in exams as being good at English, right?

For me, I think of socring high as a requirement for being good at English. In that, scoring high is just a demonstration of our hard work. However, how to evaluate the ability on the whole is more important for me, for that's what I rely on to decide what I am going to do to improve myself.

Reading, listening, writing and speaking are all important. We should not neglect one of them. Moreover, I think we just demonstrate our abilities of integration when we really use it in our daily lives. How to use it naturally is also an important issue.

Ha! Ha! Recently, I have been looking for some information about the pronounciation. During I did that on the Internet, I found it really interesting to speak English correctly and beautifully.

I just put it an end here. Good day!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 weeks later...
However, I believe that many students already consider the illusion to be a substance.

Oh, of course. Just that it's always beyond your imagination. Movies can always be misleading. :p:p

I hope that the above situatuion will not become a nightmare when I visit those countries

Well, your written English seems fine. Just a matter of your SPOKEN English. That's usually a killer. :p:p

Have fun and good luck is all I'll say! :p

For me, I think of socring high as a requirement for being good at English.

................................I'm..afraid...I beg to differ. Scoring high in tests is just scoring high in tests. Can you apply it? That's the real question. What's the real requirement for being good at English? Well, it depends what you mean by "being good at English". If it's just to be able to communicate well with English speakers, then the requirement is to be able to communicate well with English speakers. If it's to be able to write very good narratives in English, then it's just being able to write good narratives in English. In terms of determining whther a person is good at communicating with others, I care less what marks they got in their English (or whichever language) tests. I care more about whether I can have a quality conversation with them.

pronounciation

Pronunciation.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

................................I'm..afraid...I beg to differ. Scoring high in tests is just scoring high in tests. Can you apply it? That's the real question. What's the real requirement for being good at English? Well, it depends what you mean by "being good at English". If it's just to be able to communicate well with English speakers, then the requirement is to be able to communicate well with English speakers. If it's to be able to write very good narratives in English, then it's just being able to write good narratives in English. In terms of determining whther a person is good at communicating with others, I care less what marks they got in their English (or whichever language) tests. I care more about whether I can have a quality conversation with them.

You can say that again; however, I want to expand what I said.

Actually, whether I can apply it to my life is much more important than scoring high. However, why I put a lot of emphasis on scoring high is that I want to use it correctly. I am convinced that the great demonstration of English ability(listening, speaking, reading, writing) is formed through reading widely and trying to use what I learn in conversations and writing. I am not the superficial people who just want to get good grades only in tests. Instead, what I want is that I can really master the language, so I get a good grade. In other words, if I can not answer correctly, I will think there must be some problems in my studying.

I do not deny that I take grades of exams as a benchmark of how much I learned. Nevertheless, I often grasp chances to talk to some English native speakers. There are lots of English speakers in my school, and that's one important reason I am happy with my school.

Ha! Ha! Another reason why I take this so seriously is that I have been teaching some children English. I hope what I can bring them is not only something interesting but also something correct.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Actually, whether I can apply it to my life is much more important than scoring high. However, why I put a lot of emphasis on scoring high is that I want to use it correctly. I am convinced that the great demonstration of English ability(listening, speaking, reading, writing) is formed through reading widely and trying to use what I learn in conversations and writing. I am not the superficial people who just want to get good grades only in tests. Instead, what I want is that I can really master the language, so I get a good grade. In other words, if I can not answer correctly, I will think there must be some problems in my studying.

Your argument here is slightly contradictory. First you said you're not a superficial person who just wants to get good grades yet immediately afterwards, you said you really want to master a language....so you can get good grades.......contradictory, no? :p

If you don't get good grades, of course there's probably something you can improve in your studying techniques. However, I guess my point is, test grades are only as good as the criteria your teacher had set to mark you against. As for whether it's applicable in real life...that's very difficult to say. The bottom line is HOW you're being tested. If it's just answering a bunch of questions, then anyone who study well enough is able to do that.

There's also the question of WHAT you consider as good English. I'm under the impression your definition of "good English" is eventually becoming fluent. However, even among fluent speakers, English language skill can vary - much like how certain people would be good in Chinese while some aren't in Taiwan so again, it totally depends what you set as your benchmark.

...anyways...think I'm starting to veer off topic (and forgetting what I ORIGINALLY wanted to say - I always do that) so I'll end it here. I still retain my original opinion that you've done a great job to master English at your current level. My only problem is, however, it really sounds...unnatural. I sometimes feel like I'm talking to a textbook and not a real person which bother me a bit...but I'm sure that can be remedied. Keep it up as usual!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

...anyways...think I'm starting to veer off topic (and forgetting what I ORIGINALLY wanted to say - I always do that) so I'll end it here. I still retain my original opinion that you've done a great job to master English at your current level. My only problem is, however, it really sounds...unnatural. I sometimes feel like I'm talking to a textbook and not a real person which bother me a bit...but I'm sure that can be remedied. Keep it up as usual!

Oh! It is a bit too long, so I leave out some paragraphs. Sorry! ::)

I can understand what you want to say,and actually that's what I have been pursuiting. However, I think it is not so easy for me to do so. For example, when I type responses like this, sometimes I would stop to think if it is OK to use this word or is there any word to replace the original word. I think I have difficulty expressing what I think fluently and correctly, let alone using English naturally.

Oh! What you said also reminds me of an important thing. I remember I felt very unnatural (uncomfortable?!) when I read some high-marked Chinese compositoins. I think how you felt after reading my response is similar to my feeling after I read those articles. Correct or neat as it is, it lacks humanity and emotions.

OK! Thank you anyway. I will keep leanring English in different ways. After all, leaning without pressure is much more interesting. I hope someday I can use it naturally. XD (By the way, I find it very interesting to learn by watching movies)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
pursuiting.

pursuing. Pursuit is a noun.

For example, when I type responses like this, sometimes I would stop to think if it is OK to use this word or is there any word to replace the original word. I think I have difficulty expressing what I think fluently and correctly, let alone using English naturally.

Yeah, I get the impression that you probably spent a good deal perfecting it so that it's grammar perfect AND using as many sophisticated words as possible - not that it's a bad thing. However, that may be the reason why there's a tinge of unnaturalness to it because most people don't really spend that much time making sure whatever spouts out of their mouth sounds like an English essay - though I had met people like that....and it's usually weird talking to them because they get too verbose to the point that it makes no sense.

Maybe what you can do is try writing as you think without stopping to think whether it's grammar perfect or not. After you're done, then have a quick scan to check the obvious grammar mistakes are gone. POSSIBLY change a couple of words if it helps expressing your points better but don't go overboad and see how that goes.

(By the way, I find it very interesting to learn by watching movies)

That's probably the best way to learn. Gets an insight into the culture as well. My Japanese is better amongst the other languages I've learned simply because of this reason.

One thing I always had a problem with the traditional way of teaching languages is the lack of cultural references they had while teaching. Cultural references always makes a language more interesting and you actually understand the language better in the long run. (Also saves you trouble from hearing slangs and language derived from cultural references when you hear them)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

That's probably the best way to learn. Gets an insight into the culture as well. My Japanese is better amongst the other languages I've learned simply because of this reason.

One thing I always had a problem with the traditional way of teaching languages is the lack of cultural references they had while teaching. Cultural references always makes a language more interesting and you actually understand the language better in the long run. (Also saves you trouble from hearing slangs and language derived from cultural references when you hear them)

I think you're right about the cultural thing. English and Chinese are developed from completely different cultures, so normally you can't just translate Chinese into English word by word. It'll not only cause gramatic errors, but also the meaning would sound totally weird.

And one more thing. This board is called "Communicate With Confidence" for a good reason. Therefore, I think you should talk a bit more nicely. No offense meant.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
And one more thing. This board is called "Communicate With Confidence" for a good reason. Therefore, I think you should talk a bit more nicely. No offense meant.

None taken but I will appreciate it if you point out WHICH PART you think I'm being mean. I may be blunt or I may be giving constructive criticism a few too many times, but I do it with the intention to help people improve as this is what this board is about. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
well, i'd try to be mild if i have to give a constructive criticism. it'll sound a lot more encouraging to people. don't you think?

Please provide me with an example. I can't really benefit from your feedback if I'm not exactly sure what you meant.

"My only problem is, however, it really sounds...unnatural. I sometimes feel like I'm talking to a textbook and not a real person which bother me a bit...but I'm sure that can be remedied."

Is this the line you're commenting on?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入