【Chat】How much do you know about internet language?

Internet language is something people use for typing on internet, in order to reach higher typing speed and still keeping its meaning. Internet language is commonly used in english-based forums as well as chatting programs such as yahoo and MSN, tho it's not encouraged to use it formal writing but it's kinda Interesting to learn about it.

An easy example "u", stands for "you" due to its similar pronunciation, in the same way, the word "for" can also be typed as "4"(four). "btw" is abbreviation of "by the way" and LOL, wtf ... etc. I assume most of you here must have known these already, but what about more advanced ones?

1337(l33t) is a very common example when people introducing internet language, 1337 refers to LEET, which means "elite" in english. 1337 is well-used in gaming community, 1337 is also used in some stories or software to show the writer or programmer's humor, even in well-known company -- Microsoft. DreamScene, a built-in software in windows vista, has a default video filename "vid1337". Other words like uber and noob are also very popular in gaming, teh word "uber" came from the german word "Über", which means over or super. Uber can be combined with other words such as "uberkill", 'uberloot" and "uber awesome", you can even use it with LEET resulting as "uberleet". "noob" stands for "newbie", meaning new player in a game. In a recent game Unreal Tournament 3 noob is used in its tips which are shown during game loading. Quake is also known for using large number of internet language.

1337 somewhat looks like LEET, this way of transforming a character into another characters similar is called hacker language, which was first used in some early BBS, when people come to the topic about hacking or cracking, the system will automatically convert these into hacker words. We can create our own hacker language, like translating "now" into "|\|0vv" and the word "noob" said above can be typed as "n00b". There is even a hacker language version of google. (http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/)

Some misspelling or mistyping even become popular on the internet, sometimes people (that includes me also) like to type "the" as "teh" to strengthen the tone. Adding "z" at the end of a noun is also for the same purpose, like "weapon" turns into "weaponz".

What else do you know about it? Hope this thread will help you understanding when you chat with foreigners or read english posts on forum.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Foreigners don't really chat 1337 unless you're chatting to gamers, who need to reduce typing time during firefights or dueling. Basically, "internet language" is mostly just abbreviations of words, or they just take out the vowels. Personally I don't recommend using it since it WILL effect your ability to type correctly. I once handed in my papers with "u" instead of "you", my English teacher was furious...

Some examples I know:

aiight instead of alright (it sounds...gangster?)

O rly? ...the owl thing = =

Pwnd stands for Owned

gj - good job

jk- just kidding

omg/omfg - oh my (f***ing) god

y? - why?

nm- not much

rofl - roll on floor laughing

and such....

why am I here??

I should go prepare for my finals = ="

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

DremeScene is only in ultimate version of vista added as a "bonus". and yeah as I said in the first post "not encouraged to use in formal writting", it would be nice to share what you have experienced about these or what you actaully think about those, do you approve it or you are against it?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Sorry, I have made a spelling mistake , The "glarmour" should be corrected and adjusted

to “glamour” and its mean is similar to the chinese expression “迷惑不解”

Kanji erer...... has less letters to typed than that character . And it pronounced more closed to the chinese spoken ,indeed it sounds more likely “汉字”

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 weeks later...
Sorry, I have made a spelling mistake , The "glarmour" should be corrected and adjusted

to “glamour” and its mean is similar to the chinese expression “迷惑不解

Kanji erer...... has less letters to typed than that character . And it pronounced more closed to the chinese spoken ,indeed it sounds more likely “汉字”

shouldn't that be perplexed or perplexing? glamour means魅力

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
DremeScene is only in ultimate version of vista added as a "bonus". and yeah as I said in the first post "not encouraged to use in formal writting", it would be nice to share what you have experienced about these or what you actaully think about those, do you approve it or you are against it?

I approve its use...

as long as the other person knows what you're talking about.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入