【Chat】Common Mistakes and Advice in Learning Languages

Ok, I guess this can be like a chat. Basically, the point of this thread is to provide a FAQ (frequently asked questions) in learning English, or any other language for that matter. After talking in this forum for so long, similar questions always pop up. Similar mistakes in learning English or other foreign languages also pops up and quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of answering the same thing over and over again so I hope this can become a common FAQ for any avid learners to get some helpful tips.

I'll start this off with my own opinion of course but welcome for everyone to contribute so that we can come up with one awesome list.

One general thing to make clear, however, is that this FAQ is not intended to be a list on exam tips. ie. this list will not provide any tips to ace your English exams. I hope we can make a list that can help people to be able to learn a language and be able to use it practically in life.

Common mistake no. 1: Memorizing vocabulary lists without interactive thought process

Due to school curriculum, everyone tend to memorise their vocabulary in the following fashion:

Dog = 狗

Pretty = 漂亮

Cell phone = 行動電話

etc.

I tend to find this method create the following problems:

1. You NEVER get out of the habit of thinking in Chinese first before translating into English. This slows down response time and to be frank, you will never be able to think in English.

2. The definitions are not in YOUR own words. Hence, the definitions that you memorise bears no relevance or significance to you. What they should have done is provided you with pictures rather than the Chinese counterpart so that you can associate the vocabulary with an OBJECT, rather than another version of symbolic representation.

What you SHOULD do

Write your OWN definitions. That way, not only have you thought about the vocabulary, you have also defined its meaning in relevance to YOU. This definition will hence, stick for a much longer period of time in your head as this time, the definition bears a significance to you.

For a challenge, try and write the definition in English (or whichever language you are learning) in YOUR own words of course. This has another affect. Not only are the definitions in YOUR own words, you are also describing the vocabulary in the language you're learning. Not only will the vocabulary stick in your brains for longer, you are also practicing expressing yourself in the language you're learning. This will increase the speed of improvement. In fact, this method is USED in English-speaking countries when they teach school kids new vocabulary. We are forced to write the definition of a new word in OUR own words, and hence, fully understand its meaning rather than MEMORISING what it is and never really UNDERSTAND what it is.

Side Note:

I shall clarify this bit by saying, when it comes to more ADVANCED vocabulary, you should try and define the meaning yourself and not rely on the Chinese counterpart. As evenstar mentioned, when you start out, there's really nothing much you can do for basic vocabulary such as "bird". etc.

However, I did mention above, for basic vocabulary, it may be better for them to provide pictures rather than the equivalent in another language so you don't get into the habit of doing Chinese -> English thought process.

Common mistake no. 2: Checking the dictionary whilst reading

Side effect:

1. Again, you never break out of the habit of thinking in your mother tongue first before thinking in English

2. You break the flow of the language and chances are, whatever you were reading loses context and makes less sense as you continue

What you SHOULD do

1. Read beginning to end WITHOUT checking the dictionary. Let the language flow into you and guess as you go. Try and work it out within the given context.

2. Read it a second time and THIS TIME, with the dictionary but remember, write the definition in YOUR OWN WORDS.

3. Go through the vocabulary you have found

4. Read material again and see how much you can understand this time

Common mistake no. 3: Shying away from resources because you think your <insert language> is not good enough

Just read it. Who cares? You think a child born in an English-speaking country can read every single book on the bookshelf when they were born? No. They just keep reading until they've exposed themselves to enough vocabularies and expression and eventually, catch on and get better and better. So do the same thing. Who said you need to know certain amount of vocabulary before you can read certain materials? It's complete nonsense. Just read and you'll get better. It's a guarantee. Practice makes perfect afterall. If you don't expose yourself to the language in its purest form, how are you ever going to improve?

This is all the ones I can think of thus far. I'll keep adding. Of course, everyone are welcomed to join in and contribute.

Cheers!

:p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I don't think memorizing a list of vocabulary is a bad thing, let alone a mistake. When you don't have the ability to come up with a definition, you may end up just writing the same definition for similar words...and that's bad.

For example:

Appease VS Alleviate

You may write "to stop /relieve pain" for both of them, but then they don't BOTH mean to relieve pain. The word appease implies that you are giving in to a demand; whereas the word alleviate doesn't.

And in your example, what kind of definition are you supposed to write except for what the dictionary says? I mean, you can't write your own definition for "cellphone..."

- A device that enables you to talk and listen without having to sit at home next to a phone?

My point is that when you first start to learn a language, vocabulary lists is a very helpful tool and it's certainly not a mistake to memorize them. Writing your own definition should be for someone who has adquate skills to do that.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Read it a second time and THIS TIME, with the dictionary but remember, write the definition in YOUR OWN WORDS.:p

At the beginning of taking this step, can I refer to an English to English dictionary?

After checking the dictionary, I would give it a definition on my own language.

Do you think it is proper?

If you are not so busy, would you please share your opinion of using an English to English dictionary with me? I've been use one for 2 year, but I think I can't make full use of it. Simultaneously, the course in Taiwan lays emphasis on understanding differences of some SIMILAR MEANING words. I think using an English to English dictionary would be helpful with that, but I sometimes find some definitions of different words similar. How can I do?

After asking questions, I want to say"THANK YOU VERY MUCH!"

Your enthusiastic and considerate actions really help me a lot!(A)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
My point is that when you first start to learn a language, vocabulary lists is a very helpful tool and it's certainly not a mistake to memorize them.

Agree. This is a good way for beginners, but dont get into your vocabulary lists too much - that will be very tough to change it if making lists has become your habit of learning English. As time goes by, youll learn more and more new words. Do you have time to make such a long list? I dont think so.

At the beginning of taking this step, can I refer to an English to English dictionary? After checking the dictionary, I would give it a definition on my own language. Do you think it is proper?

Rules can be flexible. Just use it more often to make a deeper impression on your brain. I remember Miki said this before, "Think more in English" - thats what everyone learning English should do!

Plus Ive noticed you like to capitalise many words. I would suggest you dont do that too much because it seems that youre scolding someone rather than emphasising your words.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
At the beginning of taking this step, can I refer to an English to English dictionary?

Using English to English dictionary is fine. In fact, preferable. However, I personally think that you should write the definition in English rather than Chinese (in your own words of course). This forces you to think the definition in English, rather than Chinese. Though, if you're really stuck, you can comprehend the definition in Chinese first before writing your own definition out in English.

Corrections:

I would give it a definition in my own language. Do you think this is proper?

I've been use one for 2 year,

I've been using one for 2 years,

Simultaneously, the course in Taiwan lays emphasis on understanding differences of some SIMILAR MEANING words.

Simultaneously, the English curriculum in Taiwan places emphasis on understanding the differences between synonyms.

I think using an English to English dictionary would be helpful with that, but I sometimes find some definitions of different words similar. How can I do?

I think using an English to English dictionary would be helpful with the above. However, I sometimes find the definitions between some synonyms very similar. What can I do?

Your enthusiastic and considerate actions really help me a lot!

Your enthusiasm and considerate actions really helped me a lot!

----------

In terms of the synonyms, are you saying that you have problem understanding the subtle differences?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

some personal experiences to share,

1. Regarding the use of dictionary, I usually either guess the meaning of the vocabulary I don't know or just skip it while reading. I only use it when I am writing essays. ie. to confirm the definitions of some fancy SAT words I am using...XD (to be honest with you guys, I don't even have a dictionary with me, I always use Yahoo 字典...)

2. I think memorizing vocabs is VERY USEFUL, especially for SAT and tests like that. It's something similar to 倚天屠龍記裡面,謝遜逼張無忌把所有武功都記下來, eventually, those vocabs will randomly pop up one day and you will learn how to use it. I am gonna pick up my vocabulary book again soon to prepare for the GRE next summer ...(omg I feel like I just finished the OOXX SAT and now I'm becoming junior AGAIN!!)

3. Recommendation: roots, prefix, and suffix are very useful for guessing the words you don't understand..

and by the way, I went to 介壽國中 too....

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
2. I think memorizing vocabs is VERY USEFUL, especially for SAT and tests like that.

Well, memorising vocabularies for tests is not a good way imo. Its useful, but youll forget those words very soon after the test and thats not our purpose of learning languages, is it?

倚天屠龍記裡面,謝遜逼張無忌把所有武功都記下來

Remember to put this in parentheses :p

and by the way, I went to 介壽國中 too....

Nice to meet you mate! lol

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入