【Chat】About English textbooks in Taiwan

Just a discuss...no other meaning in it~^^

In fact, I think textbooks in Taiwan do little improvement to students except for some

new vocabulary and idioms.

For instance, often you can see that many articles use the same form on sentences

in order to emphasize the grammar in the unit. I think this is not a proper way of demonstrating

how to write an article well. However, there are some good ones, too~ not much, though.

What do you think??

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I believe an improvement of high school textbooks from junior high ones is that high school texts aren't written by the editors; rather, they are selected from works or articles whose authors have the courage and grasp of the English language to publish their thoughts --- which gives better examples of how English should be used.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Raiding this thread for a bit of corrections :p

Just a discuss...no other meaning in it~^^

Just a discussion....no other intentions.

In fact, I think textbooks in Taiwan do little improvement to students except for some

new vocabulary and idioms.

In fact, I think textbooks in Taiwan do little improvement for students' understanding except building up vocabulary and idioms.

For instance, often you can see that many articles use the same form on sentences

in order to emphasize the grammar in the unit.

For example, examples that are used in textbooks often use the same grammatical form or sentence structure in order to emphasize the grammar, currently being explained in a particular chapter

(is what I think you're trying to say - not sure what you mean by "unit")

I think this is not a proper way of demonstrating

how to write an article well.

I think this is not a proper way of demonstrating the practices of writing a good article.

I believe an improvement of high school textbooks from junior high ones is that high school texts aren't written by the editors

I'm.....utterly confused as to what you're saying here. Re-phrase maybe? ^.^.||| (the rest are fine

whose authors have the courage and grasp of the English language

What do you mean by "courage" here? Again, not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
seems like that it is easily to occur mistakes~

Those mistakes seem to occur very often

(is what I think you're trying to say. At least that's what it sounds like when I read that sentence in CHINESE grammatical form ^.^|||)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I don't really like the English books we use now.

They are very tedious, but I still study them hard.

However, I usually try to capture the essence of what I have learned to improve my writing skill. I want to make the majority of whom read my article feel not TEDIOUS.(I don't expect me too much to write down an interesting article, but I will still try my level best to reach the standard.)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I want to make the majority of whom read my article feel not TEDIOUS.

I want to make the majority of those that read my article to not feel it to be tedious when reading it.

I don't expect me too much to write down an interesting article, but I will still try my level best to reach the standard.

I don't expect myself too much to write an interesting article, but I still try my best to reach that standard.

Question: Why are you guys using the word "article"? Are you actually writing an article? As in a newspaper article? It's confusing. I'm guessing you're thinking in terms of 文章 which probably is translated in dictionaries as "articles". However, that's misleading (or rather, INCORRECT altogether). There are different forms of writing. Essays, articles, editorials, informal essays, short stories, novels, poems, diary etc.

What exactly is it that you are asked to write in class or are writing in your spare time? :s

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I don't really like the English books we use now.

They are very tedious, but I still study them hard.

In fact, my English textbooks are boring too (when I was in the UK)

However there are still some differences if you look them closer up. The most effective thing you can find out is that the UK ones are more logically edited. I have to say Taiwans quality is quite good, but there are many ODD words pop up in the sentences, which always makes my face look like this = =' lol

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I'm.....utterly confused as to what you're saying here. Re-phrase maybe? ^.^.||| (the rest are fine.

Textbooks in Taiwan are written by a group of "editors" who usually make up the texts.

What do you mean by "courage" here? Again, not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

Courage to publish their work and accept criticism.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

We should dump these textbooks, as they don't really do much (at least for me).

They should give out novels instead of textbooks, which would probably be better if you want to learn how the English language is used. Also, a single story throughout the whole year should be more interesting than separate stories.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Just prescribe 8 materials per year. That's what my school does. Two novels per term - 4 per semester. Learn much better and faster than anything.

If they treat English proficiency so seriously at a national standard, then the best way to teach it is to NATURALIZE it. ie. make it part of the national language >_> *shrug*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

The only purpose of a English textbook for me is to cover cup noodles and to spin it to piss my teacher that teaches Three Principles of People off. She once said, "If there are more of you type of people, Cheng Kung would be forced to close down!!"

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
have to say Taiwans quality is quite good, but there are many ODD words pop up in the sentences, which always makes my face look like this = =' lol

Some essays in the magazine are also odd.

I don't think REAL native speakers would write essays like those.

(The essays in some magazines are written by some native speakers; however, they want to make their words accepted by students in Taiwan, so I think it is the main factor that makes the essays in some magazines unnatural. )

Therefore, I don't like to the magazine subscribed by my school.

I prefer to find out more information to read so that I can gain access to some more NATURAL essays.:o

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
We should dump these textbooks, as they don't really do much (at least for me).

They should give out novels instead of textbooks, which would probably be better if you want to learn how the English language is used. Also, a single story throughout the whole year should be more interesting than separate stories.

yes i totally agree~

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I think that the text books provides us with samples. Then teachers explain the grammar to students and solve the problems of English learning. Reading novels is another way to English but I don't think that every students in Taiwan are capable of it.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, I think the textbook is quiet BORING.

Because the titles are so boring. The articles are just way too shallow.....

They don't really teach us anything except some new words or idioms....

but novels are some times too hard for some students...

some students can't even handle the articles in the textbook.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Although I agree to read novels, yet never let reading novels be an exam item is better!!

??? Confused. What do you mean? It's better if they don't use novels as exam material? Is that what you're saying?

quiet BORING.

QUITE. Not quiet.

Well, I think the textbook is quiet BORING.

Because the titles are so boring.

Well, I think the textbooks are quite boring because the titles are so boring.

One sentence - not two. Don't start a sentence with "because".

Is this proper in Taiwan?

What's proper in Taiwan? Buying textbooks in America? What do you mean by "proper"? :s

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 weeks later...

There are LOTS of kinds of textbooks you can find.

I just cannot get your point very well, you mean the textbooks that help you improve your English skills or something else??

If so, I do think reading novels helps a lot.

Reading novels can make you improve your grammer, voc, essay, etc. when you read them sentence by sentence.

Trust me, it helps.:E

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入