【Self-Introduce】All those who've lived long-term abroad

hey ya'll, this is dan from chien kuo, first year this year.

just signed up for this forum, seems great so far.. with a lot of nice stuff.

heard it was started by ck students anyway..

well i just got back to taiwan end of august, from singapore, which is an island near the equator, south of malaysia and thailand (that's for those who don't know where it is). been there for 2 years and i went to international schools (OFS and UWC if anyone happen to know them) so yea.. and i was in south africa for 3 years when i was elementary grade2-4.

so about half my life was spent overseas (i was in LA, USA) when i was 2 or 3. like to know who else have similar 'life stories' (one of my classmates lived in US for 6 years) ..

well nice to meet ya'll

簡寫已修正

abt =about

gr = grade

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 回覆 58
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

I only go over sea for summer skuls, by the way, i live in Vn now ( i hope YOU know where that is ) studyin in an International skul for my 3 rd year. i was borned in SF, CA, USA...(tat is NOT 3 different places...) and stayed there when i was young. yea nice to meet you too^^

by the way, i miss taiwan~~~~

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, would I consider myself living abroad? I've been in Australia since I was 6 years old and have long become citizine here. Technically, I say I'm Australian-Taiwanese now with Taiwan being regarded as my mother country but Australia as my home. I don't think this will EVER change. Even my elder brother, who was 11 when he came to Australia, can't get used to the Taiwanese lifestyle even after working there for a year. Even my PARENTS, who, obviously, lived half their life in Taiwan, are no longer used to the Taiwanese lifestyle. Wierd, wierd....

Anyways, that's not the point. Basically, lived in Australia for 14 years, going on 15 (yes, I'm revealing my age) and that's really about it. I have to say, I'm starting to feel more and more detached from Taiwan these days. Last time I went back (when I was 18), I feel SOOOOOO out of place. Everytime I speak English, peoeple stare at me, so much so that I just don't speak unless spoken to and when I do speak, it's definitely Chinese (and I don't have any accent in my Chinese so yeah, perfect mask :P). So much better here in multicultural Australia. No one cares whether you speak Chinese, Korean, Russian, German or Gibberish. ><

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
How do they know what you're talking about when you speak gibberish?

Why, they don't of course but the point is noone will flick their head around just because you speak Gibberish.

By the way, my friends can speak Gibberish. It's simple, replace the first letter in each syllable with "giddig"

eg.

Hello! How are you?

will become

Giddige giddillo! (Hello!) Giddigow giddigre giddigou? (How are you?)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

引用:

作者: MikiRei

No one gives a damn whether you speak Chinese, Korean, Russian, German or Gibberish. ><

請不要使用不雅字眼

再犯則刪文不另通知

原文已修正

以上

版主

= ="" Fine.....I'll be careful next time. This is starting to remind me of the time Britian banned Australia's tourist campaign just because we use the word....and I guess I can't write it here can I? Anyways, will watch out.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
= ="" Fine.....I'll be careful next time. This is starting to remind me of the time Britian banned Australia's tourist campaign just because we use the word....and I guess I can't write it here can I? Anyways, will watch out.

haha nice one there. but personally i don't consider 'give a ****' as a rude phrase, i guess it's just slang xd

anyways nice learning about your interesting life (so far), i've always wanted to travel to australia or new zealand, heard they've got awsome scenery, and of course, nice people. i knew a few aussies back in my international school, they were really nice people:)

hmph, i have exams coming up next wednesday so this will do for today ;)

(i used to have 1 exam per whole school year, compared to now, 6... *speechless*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
haha nice one there. but personally i don't consider 'give a ****' as a rude phrase, i guess it's just slang

Same here. The word used in the tourist campaign was "blood" plus a "y". Apparently very rude in Britain but nothing more than slang in Australia. I guess people won't be able to talk about Queen Mary and her nickname back in her reign. (That is, Mary, the eldest daughter of King Henry VIII)

I think in another post I was warned for using "the word that means illegitimate son back in Shakespeare's time." Hope you know which word I mean. *wink*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Maybe he didn't have a choice? It says that he's in junior high school on the profile which means he'll be around the range of 12 to 15. I don't think one is able to make any sort of independent choice at this time of age. Even if you were to make a choice, parental consent is crucial.

Hey MikiRei, just curious, how old are you?

Aussis ppl r all nice and cute!

they r the popular ones in my international skul!

I'm 20. Cheers!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
= ="

to this entry's poster...

you said you spent your half life overseas right?

so, why'r you came back thou???

for what?? if you are good at your schoolwork?why dont you stay there??

I dont think Taiwan is the best place for education..

haha yea, i totally agree with you, that Taiwan is definately NOT the best place for education, especially when one's been exposed to international/other educational systems. but what can i say? I've been travelling in and out of taiwan, that's why half my life was spent abroad, but not at one place, 3, to be exact. (i'm 15 -> 16now by the way).

the real reason for all this moving (though really nice to go abroad and meet new people and experience new environment, it is really troublesome sometimes), is 'cause my dad works for the embassy, so he gets sent to different countries. and the rest of the family goes with him. and now i'm back in taiwan (probably for good, since i'm already in high school and it's hard to change education systems now). cheers, hope this answers your questions.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, at least you'll be able to kick a** (or a*** in Australia) in ONE subject. *coughenglishcough*

I hope I don't get killed even after masking the words :s (Can't we relax the rules a bit so people could at least use SOME words for F.U.N factor?)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
haha yea, i totally agree with you, that Taiwan is definately NOT the best place for education, especially when one's been exposed to international/other educational systems. but what can i say? I've been travelling in and out of taiwan, that's why half my life was spent abroad, but not at one place, 3, to be exact. (i'm 15 -> 16now by the way).

the real reason for all this moving (though really nice to go abroad and meet new people and experience new environment, it is really troublesome sometimes), is 'cause my dad works for the embassy, so he gets sent to different countries. and the rest of the family goes with him. and now i'm back in taiwan (probably for good, since i'm already in high school and it's hard to change education systems now). cheers, hope this answers your questions.

ohoh..i see..

hope you came get used to study in TW's education style..

it's hard and troublesome like you said... especially in your school thou haha^^"

did you go to cram school?? or...I mean how can you handle your subject some like CHINESE or math???

some times it still spend lot of time for me to work out with chinese...(you have to memerize some thick analects of ancient!! tricky>"<!!!!!)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm....

Imma have to join this convo from the mid

I cant say that ive gone abroad for long, but certainly i speak some"NORMAL" english, heheheheheh XD

*sigh*

I dunno

im kinda getting used to taiwanese education system now since i went young and came back young, but i certainly have some bad comments on it.....

well the key in learning languages is quite easy to grasp, just read and watch movies and talk! for this i think taiwanese english education is a failure, cuz it's just not 'right' to talk to people in english or read a novel in english. youll attract ppl for sure.

even i have difficulties speaking english with ppl, why not just use chinese, if its much easier to use (to ppl here)? as of now, i only speak normal english with my bro XD

Just my piece of five cents

PS

I just realized that many of my abbreviations are not in the list......

Here they are

Imma = I am gonna

convo = conversation

mid = middle

kinda = kind of

cuz = because

ppl = people

PS = post-script

I dunno

under what circumstances will my post be deleted?

only on serious offenses will they be deleted. ^ ^

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
well the key in learning languages is quite easy to grasp, just read and watch movies and talk!

Glad to finally hear someone talking some sense. :p I come here, check some of the questions asked and get quite annoyed. Especially when people are trying to translate English to Chinese (or vice versa) and they do it by a one-to-one mapping, or rather, WORD by WORD! It infuriates me because there's just NO WAY you can map one-to-one, from English to Chinese. Two COMPLETELY different language strands - it's just absolutely ilogical to do a one-to-one mapping between the two languages. Even when translating from Chinese to Japanese (or vice versa - yes, I'm talking from experience. I do a lot of manga translations, mostly Japanese or Chinese to English) it's not completely one-to-one and we're talking about two languages that come from the same strand! Anywayz......

for this i think taiwanese english education is a failure, cuz it's just not 'right' to talk to people in english or read a novel in english. youll attract ppl for sure.

I'm not sure about the education (seeing that I've never received any education in Taiwan) but I can say that I'm so uncomfortable when going back to Taiwan. I speak English, people within a 1 metre radius from me will stare for at least 30 seconds. If I read English books, some random old man will say to my mum, "Your daughter is hard-working." I get so annoyed that in the end, I just speak Chinese as much as I can. However, that's quite difficult for me since I'm a natural bilingual and BY NATURE, I switch languages. Ok, I probably speak English more often but when I'm around bilingual friends or with my parents, I switch between the two language. I HAVE to, it's part of who I am but in Taiwan they make it as if it's aboslutely abnormal to be able to speak any other language then Mandarin, Taiwanese or Hakka. = =' (Ok...yes, I know. 99% of the population are Asian so people aren't used to hearing any other language other than the stated above - but still.............make my trip back to my home country a little bit more welcoming :'( )

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
If I read English books, some random old man will say to my mum, "Your daughter is hard-working."

That never happened to me = ='

Why do you care so much about what strangers think of you? They're probably never going to see you again for the rest of their lives anyway... = =""

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Why do you care so much about what strangers think of you? They're probably never going to see you again for the rest of their lives anyway...

That's not the case actually. It's more for the fact you feel like an exhibit in a museum or some animal in a zoo. People just pure goggling at you. It's annoying. At first I decide to ignore it but they just won't stop! I feel like yelling at the top of my voice going, "Mind your own business!" (actually, probably more like "WHAT? Never seen someone speak English before?") In the end I thought I'll just lie low and not speak English unless I really need to just so people can get off my backs. It's only for like 3 hours max anyways. As for reading novels, I really can't do much about it. I'll just nod and accept the compliment and snigger at it later.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
That's not the case actually. It's more for the fact you feel like an exhibit in a museum or some animal in a zoo. People just pure goggling at you. It's annoying. At first I decide to ignore it but they just won't stop! I feel like yelling at the top of my voice going, "Mind your own business!" (actually, probably more like "WHAT? Never seen someone speak English before?") In the end I thought I'll just lie low and not speak English unless I really need to just so people can get off my backs. It's only for like 3 hours max anyways. As for reading novels, I really can't do much about it. I'll just nod and accept the compliment and snigger at it later.

The same thing happened to me. At first it's annoying, but then since I can't get rid of it, I try to enjoy the attention, and that makes it a lot better xd

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Hmmm.

someone actually enjoys this knida stuff..... interesting......

exactly the same here bout reading novels on MRTs. you'd wanna stuff the book up their *censored* and yell *censored* (does this violate any rules?)

actually, im not used to speaking english to ppl that can speak fluent chinese...... i mean, its just much easier...

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
That never happened to me = ='

Why do you care so much about what strangers think of you? They're probably never going to see you again for the rest of their lives anyway... = =""

those people could be so annoying to get on your tits(get on your nervous), i was born in Germany so im like Miki Rei= bilingual.

Once i was on the bus= 信義幹線

and i was on the phone with my mum about how to take the bus to 中山女中( for some private reasons XDD). We spoke in german and some people were looking at me like... i am from Mars or something. i felt very uncomfortable, and yes i know it is only temporary but still, it's really annoying and they wont stop looking at you till you leave or something like that. It's only a thought, i know not everyone in Taiwan act like that :)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
actually, im not used to speaking english to ppl that can speak fluent chinese...... i mean, its just much easier...

Yeah, but here in Australia (or at least in university), we have quite a bit of overseas student from mainland China and do they annoy me! (some of them) So they can speak fluent Chinese, so you speak Chinese to them but for some reason, they refuse to speak Chinese with you. They want to practice English so they keep speaking English to you. So then you think, "Ok, well if that's the case, I'll speak English then." So you speak English to them, and then they just stop there for like 1 minute because they couldn't understand you. So you go, "Oh, right. You don't understand. Fine." and revert back to Chinese so that they can understand. So now they understand, and then they continue - but in English! So you're like, "Well, if that's the way you like it," and answer them in English. They stare at you again. So you tell them in Chinese. They understand. They continue in English. You follow them and speak in English. They stop again. On and on it goes and in the end, you're like, "What in the WORLD do you WANT? DECIDE THE LANGUAGE YOU WANT TO SPEAK!" aie.....

i know not everyone in Taiwan act like that

Yes, but a good bit amount of them do act like that and that's enough to get on anyone's nerves. = ='

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入