【Question】Hi everyone! and about TOEFL...

hi everyone! im new to this forum, and

i just got into 建中(is that against the rules of all englishness? lol) this june

and really excited about high school.

You can call me Timothy, which is my name, and i kinda have this question for you guys.

anyway i am planning on taking the TOEFL thing,(8/28 this month, actually)

because i wanted to umm, not take english classes at school(免修)

and i think the school required our toefl tests

so i thought this could be a chance to prepare for TOEFL in case i need to take it

in the future, some experience.

So I was taking this practice test i bought from their website

and at the speaking exercise as so unnerving cause they only give you like 15secs

to think about what ur gonna say.

i mean normally i have no problem in conversations and stuff, but to think of something

to say thats not shallow and holds up to their standards, thats taking it up a notch(innit?)

so my question is, does anyone here have toefl experience, and what advice

would you give to people thats taking it? like any practice methods, tips,reminders,

anything would do. and what english level would you have to be at to get good scores in

it(just vaguely, you know some examples to how well you should be at speaking or writing)? anyone got experience with this stuff?

學長忘記加屬性框了,請詳細閱讀版規(L)

先警告一次,下次進行刪文動作。

明天的太陽

此內容已被編輯, ,由 Sunriz
鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I have no exprience with TOEFL, but judging from my friends preparation on the orals, theres absolutely no need to worry about your conversation being shallow. TOEFL is a language test for ESL learners, so they will only ask you some general questions and its fine if you just answer them in gerneral.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I've taken it before. My suggestion is, the more you practice the better.

I've only seen a few people who did well on their first try.

Also, read some lectures in English. In the reading part, it contained lots of articles related to some academic topics. It is easier for me since I've been studying in an English-speaking environment. Yet, still challenging.

Ask me if you have any more question ;). Good luck with TOEFL.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I've taken it before. My suggestion is, the more you practice the better.

I've only seen a few people who did well on their first try.

Also, read some lectures in English. In the reading part, it contained lots of articles related to some academic topics. It is easier for me since I've been studying in an English-speaking environment. Yet, still challenging.

Ask me if you have any more question ;). Good luck with TOEFL.

umm how exactly do i practice? on the speaking part especially. Reading lectures is a good idea, but all the university material i can get is medical ones = =(from my parents)lol, Can i understand The academic reading stuff in the practice test, without an academic background? like there was this paragraph on politics, but i dont study american politics, so how do i understand it? and also if you dont mind me asking, how did you do on ur toefl? have you taken it multiple times? How good do i have to be

in english to do well? You see, i have this cousin(表姊) she didnt study or cram school or anything before, just the practice test that came with applying for toefl, and she got a whopping 115 on the first try! i dont know how she is doing this, i mean, shes not raised in a english speaking enviroment or anything, just plain old taiwanese education.

I've taken TOEFL last winter. I think reading LONG articles with academic purpose is really important. For the listening section, take notes. Lots of notes. You will find them very useful.

Ooh, you took the toefl thing in junior high? impressive. how did you do?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, I took it three times. All of them ended up somewhere around 100...:p.

I think it really depend on your vocabs and practice. I have little vocab I'll admitted that :S too lazy to try to memorize them.

Of course you can take the test without english background. Again, the more you practice the better.

Your cousin's result is very impressive I'd say :o good job!!!

For the lectures, you dont really have to understand the topic to do them. I mean, they're just trying to know that if you can READ the article, not UNDERSTAND them. I personally hate bio and know basically nothing about it. Yet, there's lots of bio in TOEFL (for some reasons :p). Just read the questions and know what they're looking for. Find the answer they want in the article then you'll be fine. :)

And yeah, I'm totally with what 極地能量 said, notes are important. Very very important.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Well, I took it three times. All of them ended up somewhere around 100...:p.

I think it really depend on your vocabs and practice. I have little vocab I'll admitted that :S too lazy to try to memorize them.

Of course you can take the test without english background. Again, the more you practice the better.

Your cousin's result is very impressive I'd say :o good job!!!

For the lectures, you dont really have to understand the topic to do them. I mean, they're just trying to know that if you can READ the article, not UNDERSTAND them. I personally hate bio and know basically nothing about it. Yet, there's lots of bio in TOEFL (for some reasons :p). Just read the questions and know what they're looking for. Find the answer they want in the article then you'll be fine. :)

And yeah, I'm totally with what 極地能量 said, notes are important. Very very important.

which parts of the test would you says the most difficult then? if you have great vocabulary, does that mean you'll be able to answer the question better in speaking, or will you understand more of the reading? having tried the practice test, i find the speaking part is most unnerving, kind of like giving a short speech or somethin'

may i ask, so are the most points you lost are like from reading? cause i hear the most challenging part of toefl is reading, is that true? i find the hearing test to be fairly acceptable opposed to the long academic articles they make us read

taking notes, i'll remember that. thanks for the advice

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I found reading part challenging and yeah, I didnt do well on the reading part :p.

Vocabs are useful for reading section but maybe not for speaking I guess :p just try to talk naturally...as if you're talking to your friend in mandarin...be calm. (I totally freaked out the second time I took toefl when they asked me about news = ="" not good.)

The listening part was alright. Dont worry too much about it. ;)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

i just took the test on Saturday. = ="

I remember that I spelled "tempurature" in Writing Section...cause i was too nervous...

therefore, the most important thing i would suggest is to Be Calm!

Due to the well ability in writing this paragraph, i don't think you will have any problem.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
i just took the test on Saturday. = ="

I remember that I spelled "tempurature" in Writing Section...cause i was too nervous...

therefore, the most important thing i would suggest is to Be Calm!

Due to the well ability in writing this paragraph, i don't think you will have any problem.

thanks!! temperature lol, well i guess ur right, i will try to stay calm then, if i even can.

i think u'll do fine btw, one mistake doesn't mean everything, its the same with 中文作文i guess

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入