【Question】what do you think about the english tests at school?

I lived in England for four years. Most people think that i should love taking english tests at school, but honestly, i don't. I'd rather take Chinese tests if i could choose because I hate "單一答案制".

ex. 翻譯題: "Tommy和我要兩塊餅乾."

i wrote: "Tommy asked me for two cookies."

the correct answer was: "Tommy and I want two cookies."

both sentences can be translated into the same chinese, but of course, my teacher said it was wrong.

填空題: Alex speaks English e__________tly

i wrote "eloquently"

the correct answer was "excellently"

Everytime i have problem with the school's english tests, i ask a teacher i met at HSNU(he's a professional interpreter and now teaches on TV), he would say "this is another stupid question written by a tiwanese teacher"

Does anybody have the same feeling about english tests as i do or is it just my personal problem?

Ps. feel free to correct my english, i'd appreciate it. I know my grammar is awful. lol

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

it's just for the fact that you're learning English as a language

At first, I thought you're talking about the real English tests, as in English tests in Western countries :p

Just sharing that my English tests at school (in Australia) are very subjective. There used to be very few multiple choices, which mean that there's only 1 acceptable answer - but basically we write extensive response for topic tests. For instance, there are 3 parts in the exams (yearly examination); comprehension, personal response and essay. The time allowed is 2 hours, which is quite tough if you think about it.

Same thing goes to Chinese tests we do (well I did) in Taiwan, there's only one part for creative writing, and the rest is multiple choices-how could the examiners tell how well you can express yourself. They might figure out how you can write beautifully, but I suppose they don't care the way you think in terms of being opinionated.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I can't give you any good advice.But I think that you can ask your English teacher for help.The students in Taiwan like "單一答案制" because they think that is really easy. If you can't accommodate that system, you can talk to your English teacher. I think he or she will help you.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I can't give you any good advice.But I think that you can ask your English teacher for help.The students in Taiwan like "單一答案制" because they think that is really easy. If you can't accommodate that system, you can talk to your English teacher. I think he or she will help you.

Our english teacher at school is friendly, but not that great at teaching, even my classmates who grew up in Taiwan think so. There's nothing she can do since i don't attend her classes. However, the english teacher's at HSNU are awsome (i don't know how they teach 正課 but they teach專研wonderfully.)

It's easier to guess the correct answer and u don't really need to think to figure out the correct answer, but it doesn't help students much. Do students in Taiwan even concider the possibility of other answers that are also appropriate for the same question apart from the "correct" answer they are given?

btw, "齊頭式教育" is also a total disaster!!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Sadly, if your teacher couldn't give you any good advice, I think you should prepare for your exam much hardly. Because all English tests in Taiwan only has one answer, you have to fill the answer that your teacher likes in the blank. I know that it is difficult

to accommodate. Good luck!!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I don't really think it's a big issue.

My advise is to look over the vocabulary for the test 2 minutes before the test actually begins, this way you'll know what to fill in. If you do forget, it's not a big deal...there's really not much of a difference between 100 and 97 一_一狠

As for making sentences, a good teacher will accept any sentences that is grammatically correct. My English teacher in junior high always marked my sentences correct if it translated the original meaning and was grammatically sound, even if it's not what she taught in class (she knows I don't listen to her lessons).

btw, which university is HSNU? XD

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I don't really think it's a big issue.

My advise is to look over the vocabulary for the test 2 minutes before the test actually begins, this way you'll know what to fill in. If you do forget, it's not a big deal...there's really not much of a difference between 100 and 97 一_一狠

As for making sentences, a good teacher will accept any sentences that is grammatically correct. My English teacher in junior high always marked my sentences correct if it translated the original meaning and was grammatically sound, even if it's not what she taught in class (she knows I don't listen to her lessons).

btw, which university is HSNU? XD

段考 97跟100就有差了 = =

HSNU = 師大附中

Well, lucky u. U had a great teacher! She accepts all correct answers even though u don't listen to her lessons. My teacher only accepts the answer she has in mind even though i don't attend her lessons at all!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 1 month later...
I've lived in England for four years. Most people think that I should love taking english tests at school, but honestly, i don't. I'd rather take Chinese tests if i could choose because I hate "單一答案制".

ex. 翻譯題: "Tommy和我要兩塊餅乾."

i wrote: "Tommy asked me for two cookies."

the correct answer was: "Tommy and I want two cookies."

both sentences can be translated into the same chinese, but of course, my teacher said it was wrong.

填空題: Alex speaks English e__________tly

i wrote "eloquently"

the correct answer was "excellently"

Everytime i have problem with the school's english tests, i ask a teacher i met at HSNU(he's a professional interpreter and now teaches on TV), he would say "this is another stupid question written by a tiwanese teacher"

Does anybody have the same feeling about english tests as i do or is it just my personal problem?

Ps. feel free to correct my english, i'd appreciate it. I know my grammar is awful. lol

You know what? The test questions ARE stupid and if I were you, I'll argue with the teacher like there's no tomorrow because basing on your two examples, they have absolutely NO GROUNDS to penalise you. If they SPECIFICALLY gave you a list of vocabulary that you had to choose from, then fair enough but since they didn't, it's their own damn fault for being so ambiguous. If it's small tests, I guess it doesn't matter, but if it starts to count towards any final mark that means something to you, then I think it's well worth the time to argue and get your marks back.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Since i got first prize in the Taipei's speech contest, her reason for why my answers are incorrect have been"太像演講搞" it's getting ridiculous!

During my first year in junior high, she taught hand writing. The hand writing she taught was different from the joined up writing i learned in England, so i showed her the work books i used in England and she said that my british teachers in England were wrong. (By the way, she also told loads of other teachers in school that i was a difficult student.) I have no idea what made her think that she, a taiwanese teacher, had the right to say native school teachers are wrong?? So all students in England are learning incorrect English and she's the only one teaching the queen's language??? Yeah right...... She didn't even major in English when she was in University!

I am more than glad that i don't have to attend her classes or else i would probably freak out!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I believe those things wont happen, well, at least not that much, in high school. IMO high school teachers are far more professional than junior ones and they wont faff about your handwriting, grammar, or that kind of things unless they are 100% sure.

btw, where did you live when you were in the GB?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

actually mate(damoko), gotta disagree with ya in one of those things, high school teachers and professors arent really more professional in a sense, it depends on their age and the kind of education they got.

For exemple, my essays for 北模﹐i got 19/20, cause my eng instructor loves it, he said that the way i write reminds him to what writers did in novels. Well, he's young, so he'd appreciate it

but for my 學測, to tell the truth, that essay was the only one i TRULY felt should deserve better, in my point of view, its one of the best eng essays i've written (and yes, thats including the ones i wrote back in LA), I've polished the essay(since it only took me around 40 mins to finish and chk everything twice...60 mins to go> <)

but guess what, i got a 15

well....there goes the professionalism of professers.... cause even i can find obvious mistakes from the one supposedly got the highest score in 學測

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I believe those things wont happen, well, at least not that much, in high school. IMO high school teachers are far more professional than junior ones and they wont faff about your handwriting, grammar, or that kind of things unless they are 100% sure.

btw, where did you live when you were in the GB?

Bedford Cranfield

it's in the middle of the triangle joining up Oxford, Carbridge and London

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入