【Chat】Would Life Be Easier if You Weren't A Designer?

This is a practice, comments are welcome.

Translated from Jas9.

We often talk about ourself have an interest in something, or who has an interest in whom or something. We even point at something and ask: "do you have interest in it?"

Things like interest seem to be the basic motivation which make people determined to do something. However, a journey beginning with interest often led to an totally unexpected scenery.

For example, being a designer. Most designer begin with interest.

It looks lovely, at the first, for your interest to be your job. However, it would be heavier and more difficult while you keep going on. Just like the reflection, which I have mentioned, given by a designer on the anniversary of his designer life. What expressed by the writing is the fact that thought many people declare their interest of designing by using the word "play design," however, what they wouldn't know until design actually be their job is how can work pressure and information anxiety twist their life.

Work, interest and hobby change us.

No matter like it or not, the observation of this change would be a crush for most people.

via 3 reasons to hate to be a designer

Days ago, I read another article brought to exist by the reflection I mentioned, also write by a designer, which brings a big question: Would Life Be Easier if You Weren't A Designer?

The writer mentioned a few point which he had thought about before being a designer:

1. Big quantity of work
  2. High threshold
  3. Low beginning salary
  4. Outcome hard to measure
  5. Necessity of keeping in new and change

Knowing the material return would be poor, however, we can't resist the drive of interest and end up in the hell of design which has big quantity of work, high threshold, low beginning salary, outcome hard to measure, and the necessity of keeping in new and change.

As a colleague, except knowing the difficult of the environment, I agree the conclusion given by the writer:

That is actually part of the reason why I began this blog, to help maintain my creativity, stay ahead of the curve, and develop as a designer.

Running a blog keep us on the waves of design profession. Doing design, however, keep us on the wave of life.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
This is a practice, comments are welcome.

Translated from Jas9.

We often talk about ourself have an interest in something, or who has an interest in whom or something. We even point at something and ask: "do you have interest in it?"

Things like interest seem to be the basic motivation which make people determined to do something. However, a journey beginning with interest often led to an totally unexpected scenery.

For example, being a designer. Most designer begin with interest.

It looks lovely, at the first, for your interest to be your job. However, it would be heavier and more difficult while you keep going on. Just like the reflection, which I have mentioned, given by a designer on the anniversary of his designer life. What expressed by the writing is the fact that thought many people declare their interest of designing by using the word "play design," however, what they wouldn't know until design actually be their job is how can work pressure and information anxiety twist their life.

Days ago, I read another article brought to exist by the reflection I mentioned, also write by a designer, which brings a big question: Would Life Be Easier if You Weren't A Designer?

The writer mentioned a few point which he had thought about before being a designer:

1. Big quantity of work
  2. High threshold
  3. Low beginning salary
  4. Outcome hard to measure
  5. Necessity of keeping in new and change

Knowing the material return would be poor, however, we can't resist the drive of interest and end up in the hell of design which has big quantity of work, high threshold, low beginning salary, outcome hard to measure, and the necessity of keeping in new and change.

As a colleague, except knowing the difficult of the environment, I agree the conclusion given by the writer:

Running a blog keep us on the waves of design profession. Doing design, however, keep us on the wave of life.

This is my version of the translation of that article, comments are welcome as well. My own comment on the difficulty of translating this article might be posted soon.

BTW: White Deer, plz post your translation in the board of foreign language learning (my section), 'cuz translation and interpreting is a part of language learning. Not simply chatting...xd

------------------------

我們經常說自己對什麼感興趣、誰對誰或什麼東西感興趣,甚至指著某個人事物開口直接問:「有興趣嗎?」。

We often talk about what we are interested in, and what and whom people are interested in, and sometimes we even ask straight away by pointing at something: "are you interested in this?"

興趣這種東西,似乎是驅使人們下定決心去做某些事的基本動能。然而,以興趣為起點的旅程,最終卻可能迎向完全出人意表的風景。

Such thing like interest seems to be the basic motivation that drives people to make the decision on doing things. However, the journey that starts from interest might eventually bring an unexpected scene.

舉例來說,譬如從事設計這一行。絕大多數從事設計工作的Designer,一開始泰半由於興趣。

For example, just as in the design industry, most of the designers, who participate in this industry, started their career based on interest.

當興趣成為工作,起初看來輕鬆美好,但,涉入愈深也就愈發沈重困難。這就好像我曾經提過,一位設計新鮮人在工作滿週年所寫下的心得,文章中所彰顯的事實正是:許多人向來以玩設計來陳述他們對計計的濃厚興趣,但,一直到設計成為工作,才真正瞭解那隨之而來的工作壓力與資訊焦慮,將可能如何扭曲他們的人生。

One an interest has become a job, the difficulty would gradually develop as one steps further into it, even though it seemed to be nice and easy. This refers to something I had mentioned before, that the history and experience recorded by a freshly new designer at the day of the first anniversary of joining this industry, illustrated the fact that most people describe their strong interest in designing with the term "play with design", yet, they wouldn't perceive the following occupational pressure and information anxiety, and the how possible such things could alter their life, until this interest becomes a job.

工作、興趣或嗜好經常可能改變我們。

無論喜不喜歡,察覺這種改變,對許多人來說,或多或少是種震撼與衝擊。

via 3種討厭成為設計師的主因

Jobs, interests and hobbies might change us.

No matter to like or detest, to many people, it could be a more or less shocking and astonishing when changes are perceived.

3 major reasons for refusing to become a designer

幾天前,我讀到上述那篇心得所引發的另一篇文章,同樣是從事設計工作的作者,提出一個大哉問:Would Life Be Easier if You Weren't A Designer?(如果你不是一個設計人,那樣的人生會不會更美好些?)

Several days ago, I had a chance to read the above article which was derived from the working history and experience, and the author, also a designer who work in the design industry, asked a deep question: Would life be easier, if you weren't a designer? (Omitted)

作者在文中提到,自己在進入設計這一行前,曾經再三掙扎於設計工作的幾個特點:

In the article, the author mentions his/her recurrent struggles on several traits of design before entering this industry:

工作量大

進入門檻高

起薪低

成效難以評量

必須時時求新求變

large amount of work

high threshold

low starting salary

Outcomes hard to be measured on quality

Need to keep up with fashion and changes

然而,即使明知物質面的投資報酬率可能不成比例,最終卻還是拗不過興趣的驅使,投入工作量大、進入門檻高、起薪低、成效難以評量且必須時時求新求變的設計火坑。

However, even though it is clearly known that the return for material investment might not be proportional, most people still can not be immune from the motivation of interest, and devoting themselves to the buring hole of design which is filled with large amount of work, high threshold, low starting salary, difficulty of the measurement of the quality of outcomes, and the ability to keep abreast of fashion and changes.

作為道上同行,除了瞭然於設計業界大環境的難處之外,我更同意作者的結語:

(Omitted)

As a colleague on the same track, apart from knowing the difficulties under the macro-climate of design industry, I tend to agree with the author's conclusion:

(Omitted)

經營一個部落格,讓我們維持在設計專業的浪頭上,而從事設計工作,則讓我們維持在人生的浪頭上。

Runing a blog can sustain us on the crest of the profession of design, but participating in the career of design can maintain us on the crest of life.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 1 year later...

I personally think.

If a person is so into a particular thing.

They wouldn't give up so easily, even if they were in a really horrible situation.

But the other matter is that they may not give a living if they don't have any new "fasion" ideas coming up.

would life be easier if you weren't a desiner?

I don't know. But give up the dream must be hard.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入