I had to let it happen, I had to change

Couldn't stay all my life down that hill

Anyone can help?

thanks,

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Never thought about it...just google it...一_一狠

Although she's dressed up to the nines:

1. From The Word Detective (http://www.word-detective.com): [There are] a whole slew of possible origins of "dressed to the nines," meaning to be dressed in an elegant or elaborate fashion. One theory is that it came from an Old English saying "dressed to the eyes," or to please the beholder, which, in the peculiar spelling of Old English, would have appeared "dressed to then eyne." Through a process called "metanalysis," in which letters from one word migrate over time to a neighboring word, "then eyne" might have become "the neyne" and then "the nines." A similar metanalytic process transformed "a napron" (related to "napkin") to our modern "an apron."

On the other hand, the number nine holds an exalted place in numerology, and might have been adopted in the distant past as a synonym for "superlative." "Dressed to the nines" would thus be equivalent to our modern "dressed to the max."

It's also possible that the phrase come from an old jeweler's phrase "nine nines fine," referring to gold of 99.9999999 percent purity, or that the phrase refers to the nine muses of classical mythology, or to the spiffy uniforms of the 99th Wiltshire Regiment in England...

2. And Pam provides: Since I studied linguistics in college, all aspects of language interest me so I’ve spent quite a bit of time today looking over the slang as well as the explanations for the origins of several of them. I have one comment on an item. I’ve heard that the expression “dressed to the nines” comes from the days when you either made your own clothes or went to a tailor/seamstress to make it for you. A full suit would require 9 yards of material to be made properly, which meant some waste, something only wealthy people could afford. Lesser garments would cut the waste (and the cost) but would not be “to the nines”.

If someone is at sixes and sevens, they are in a a state of confusion or not very

well organized.

hope that helps...

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...
Never thought about it...just google it...一_一狠

Although she's dressed up to the nines:

1. From The Word Detective (http://www.word-detective.com): [There are] a whole slew of possible origins of "dressed to the nines," meaning to be dressed in an elegant or elaborate fashion. One theory is that it came from an Old English saying "dressed to the eyes," or to please the beholder, which, in the peculiar spelling of Old English, would have appeared "dressed to then eyne." Through a process called "metanalysis," in which letters from one word migrate over time to a neighboring word, "then eyne" might have become "the neyne" and then "the nines." A similar metanalytic process transformed "a napron" (related to "napkin") to our modern "an apron."

On the other hand, the number nine holds an exalted place in numerology, and might have been adopted in the distant past as a synonym for "superlative." "Dressed to the nines" would thus be equivalent to our modern "dressed to the max."

It's also possible that the phrase come from an old jeweler's phrase "nine nines fine," referring to gold of 99.9999999 percent purity, or that the phrase refers to the nine muses of classical mythology, or to the spiffy uniforms of the 99th Wiltshire Regiment in England...

2. And Pam provides: Since I studied linguistics in college, all aspects of language interest me so I’ve spent quite a bit of time today looking over the slang as well as the explanations for the origins of several of them. I have one comment on an item. I’ve heard that the expression “dressed to the nines” comes from the days when you either made your own clothes or went to a tailor/seamstress to make it for you. A full suit would require 9 yards of material to be made properly, which meant some waste, something only wealthy people could afford. Lesser garments would cut the waste (and the cost) but would not be “to the nines”.

If someone is at sixes and sevens, they are in a a state of confusion or not very

well organized.

hope that helps...

I gradually figure it out,

she dressed up formally, beautifully,

(dressed up to the nines)

still felt uncomfortable, uneasy, not confident, seeing her lover.

(at sixes and sevens with you).

I think the song is about a mixture of feeling

of loving her man and her country, Argentina.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入