【Question】Let's Talk about Writing!

I prefer to see a little more "personality" in your posts. Don't get me wrong. Your written skills are fine (because all your post sounds like a passage from a correctly written essay) just that it lacks your own, personal touch to it!

As for this aspect, I want to say maybe my posts can represent who I am to an extent. You are right! I am not familiar with English-speaking cultures. What's more, I am still learning. However, when it comes to my personality, I can say I just take a conservative attitude toward dealing with everything in my life, so I think the type of my posts may be influenced by my nature and will not change a lot in a short time.

Nevertheless, do not get me wrong either. I will still try to learn everything different, so I take your advice as an important guage. Apperciate all your good opinions.;-)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
As for this aspect, I want to say maybe my posts can represent who I am to an extent. You are right! I am not familiar with English-speaking cultures. What's more, I am still learning. However, when it comes to my personality, I can say I just take a conservative attitude toward dealing with everything in my life, so I think the type of my posts may be influenced by my nature and will not change a lot in a short time.

Well, yes. I gathered that the formal nature of your posts are most likely due to your personality as well. I guess I'm saying that the overall feeling is still "textbook-like" but that's possibly due to your lack of exposure to the colloquial scene. Maybe it just sounds unnatural to me because most people don't talk like you but nonetheless, no worries. More interaction with native speakers or exposure to different forms of writing or the media will allow you to pick that up (though choose your sources well. For example, I wouldn't recommend learning English with songs that have bad grammar. eg. Timbaland's "The way I are" = =|||) . Keep up the fine work by the way! It's always a pleasure to read your posts.

More use of personal expressions, like, you know, saying umm, I guess, etc.

I didn't really mean it that way. One can still show their personality without informal use of language. It's probably just me, thinking it sounds unnatural.

In all honesty, I think the best way for you (as in Balie) to push your English to the next level is to just live in an English speaking country for a period of time and that's about it. Written-wise, you're pretty up to scratch asides from minor grammatical errors that pop up from time to time and certain awkward expressions. I don't know about your speaking skills of course seeing I've never talked to you in person but according to what I've seen with all your posts thus far, that's the best (and possibly the only) recommendation that I can give you that will make any significant difference. I think I've mentioned this before too.

Anyways, that's all from me now. (long post again - sorry) Again, keep up the good work.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Thanks again, MikiRei!;-)

I think I have always tried to do what you have mentioned above, however, am limited to the surrounding. I guess I do a well job in reading and writing, at least better than listening and speaking, but never do I want to lose touch with these two significant parts. Therefore, I do write down the sentences I think to be useful, and categorize them(Like quotes, writing or daily conversation). When talking to myself, I would use them. Nevertheless, I am always expecting talking to a native speaker, so I think I will try language exchange in the future.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks again, MikiRei!;-)

I think I have always tried to do what you have mentioned above, however, am limited to the surrounding. I guess I do a well job in reading and writing, at least better than listening and speaking, but never do I want to lose touch with these two significant parts. Therefore, I do write down the sentences I think to be useful, and categorize them(Like quotes, writing or daily conversation). When talking to myself, I would use them. Nevertheless, I am always expecting talking to a native speaker, so I think I will try language exchange in the future.

"...above; however, I am limited by my surroundings."

"...I don't do as well in listening and speaking as reading and writing, but..." (pronouns substitute the main subject).

The "do" is unnecessary--unless the person you're talking to believes that you "didn't."

"...them (like..." <---I'm picky; bite me.

"Would" is unnecessary--in reality, you already do.

Though "expecting," in Chinese, has the same definition as "looking forward to," they aren't the same--you expect something to happen, but look forward to something you really want.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest you read a lot more than you write; writing using incorrect grammar may cause you to remember it as faultless.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入