【Question】Political Correct English

I have read a piece of article about PC English in my textbook, but my teacher said what it talks about is outdated and not useful now.Therefore, I want to ask a question about this.

Generally, I often see some authors using "physically/mentally-challenged people" to replace the impolite words like "disabled".However, I don't know which word is not proper on some particular occasion except this, so I think I can take advantage of tis chance to learn about this. I hope everyone can share your precious opinion with me.:E

P.S.

Recently, I saw a word in my magazine, and I am not sure if it is an offensive word. Please respond me about this question also. This word is "feebleminded", and it was when I read a piece of article talking about "The Memory Keeper's Daughter".

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

P.S.

Recently, I saw a word in my magazine, and I am not sure if it is an offensive word. Please respond me about this question also. This word is "feebleminded", and it was when I read a piece of article talking about "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeble-minded

Answer: I guess it is offensive? Hardly used these days unless you want to sound a little more *classy* but the meaning doesn't change.

Generally, I often see some authors using "physically/mentally-challenged people" to replace the impolite words like "disabled".However, I don't know which word is not proper on some particular occasion except this, so I think I can take advantage of tis chance to learn about this. I hope everyone can share your precious opinion with me.

In all honesty, I can give you a list but I seriously don't want to.

Politically correct = euphemism to avoid confrontation = hypocrisy. Just using a different expression eg. mentally challenged still doesn't change the fact that you're calling them stupid. Of course, you're just asking whether they are better terms to use for daily English usage to avoid unnecessary confrontation. My general advice is, so long you have large vocabulary bank, you'll know how to replace certain terms with another or even MAKE UP stuff (because most politically correct terms are made up anyways) to cover your tracks.

For some practice, I'll guess I can list some:

By the way, disabled isn't really offensive. I guess it depends on how open-minded the person you're talking to is as well.

the list (I'll start it off - people can continue)

Collateral damage as oppose to death of civilians and their properties due to military attack. A term made up during the Vietnam War which I think is the worst euphemism one can make to blind themselves from their mistakes. >_>

African American as oppose to black people.

Senior citizens as oppose to old people.

People living in poverty as oppose to poor people.

Visually impaired as oppose to being blind

Hearing impaired as oppose to being deaf

Academically challenged as oppose to being stupid

Handicapped as oppose to crippled

Homosexual as oppose to gay

Caucasian as oppose to white

Obese as oppose to fat

Promiscuous as oppose to being a slut (>_>)

Resourceful as oppose to being cheap

Fashionally challenged as oppose having no taste

Unique as oppose to weird

Out of the ordinary as oppose to being abnormal

Likes to make a point as oppose to being in your face

etc.etc. The list can go on. I'm even making stuff up as I go. Some euphemism/political correct terms can go overboard and almost ridiculous.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

A person using these "poltically correct terms" is not necessarily a hypocrite. It depends on what you are thinking at the time you are using those words. A lot of times these terms offer a chance for others to respect and be nice to that other group. If you are using these terms for a "political" purpose (not restricted to the political world but also some of the daily social activities, which are sometimes referred to as being political because of their perfunctory and euphemistic nature), then you are being a hypocrite. Like what MikiRei said, thinking the other person to be stupid but calling him or her mentally challenged.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

First of all, thank you all for precious opinions.;-)

Next, I want to share what I think about with you. In other words, if a expression is proper depends on the mindset of the speaker, right? However, I can still show my respect to them by using some euphemistic terms. So, what I need to pay attention to is about how to make the listener feel OK or respected.

Uh...! I think I know what I should do.:)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
So, what I need to pay attention to is about how to make the listener feel OK or respected.

Yes. Generally, if you're not there to offend them in anyway to begin with, chances are, you won't use any offensive words. Anyways, if you accidently used an offensive words, because you generally meant well, the receiver will usually understand that you didn't mean what you say and would probably even correct you. That is, unless, you meet someone who's narrow minded then you might have a little bit of a problem. Otherwise, I think you should be fine.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入