【Chat】what's the first impression on American

im satying in Kansas ,USA

To speak frankly,american are kind of different than what i think

some of youth are self-centered,snobbish,they don't care what other people think

now i concern its probably the cluture makes it so hard to understand ,and not all american act like that

in order to make myself feel better

what is your first impression on american?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
some of youth are self-centered,snobbish,they don't care what other people think

That's the general stereo-type of Americans - conceited and obnoxious (GENERAL stereo-type - can't be all - I don't see my cousins like that....)

Ok - I've only been to the States once but here's my impression at a young age of 11.

1. The suburbs - you call THAT a SUBURB? And enclosed area where the entering and exiting of your habitat is governed by security gates and guards?? To them, they probably feel safe to think that they're keeping criminals away but to me, I thought it was extreme. It's as if you're living in a prison - only it's a LUXURIOUS prison - save the restriction of entering and exiting your own hosue (this is the OC I'm talking about). Of course, then the Americans say they don't understand us ozzies why we don't have guns and why we have such insecure houses (easily broken into). Our answer? It's because we don't NEED these high security. I don't know but I REALLY don't like their suburbs.

2. Shopping centres or as they call it, Shopping Malls. I haven't been to many when I was staying there (L.A. and San Diego) but I think it's usually like.....20 mins drive away from where you live? Oh, and then in San Diego they have this GIGANTIC warehouse where people do most of their shopping. I thought it was interesting.

3. Coins - heh - I love the fact there's QUARTERS. ie. 25 cents. It was most interesting to me.

4. Tipping at restaurants - now THIS is just RIDICULOUS. If you tip u must tip - what was it again? 10 or 30% of what you SHOULD be paying? Weirdness in my opinion. What happened to the first bill of rights (or whatever it's called)? I think people can choose to tip however much they want thank you very much.

5. Traffic - ok, it's HERRONDOUS. They REALLY need roundabouts. That's one. Second - WHAT'S WITH THE SMOG??? I was happily, sitting inside the car, looking at the road signs thinking, "Wow! Their signs are black!" THEN, I took a close look and realised there's some green colour hidden underneath. That's when I realised that no, their signs aren't black. It was green but the pollution is so high there that the smog had basically covered almost the entire sign.

6. Fascination about my accent - ok. This really annoyed me after a while. Every single cousin that came up to me kept going, "You're accent is so awesome!"

Me:.....yeah...right...thanks.....but...*shrug* - if I ever hear a Dutch accent or more Welsh accent, I'll be sitting there, listening in awe (but I don't think I'll comment on it)

Hmmm - I think that's all I can think of.

Conclusion: I'm glad my dad chose to come to Australia rather than the States. I'd hate to live there.

Other impressions - well, they're not FIRST impression - they're more political views so I'll stop here.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

oppositely individualism in taiwan is not as popular as in the US,

some of taiwanese youth don't know how to respect others' uniqueness.

they are even used to interfere in others' clothes, thinking....etc

sometimes you feel that some american teen-agers don't care what other people think,

"just perhaps" that's because you haven't getting used to individualism

for reference only!! :)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

There's a sure difference in being self-centered and in being an individual.

Being self-centered mainly means you're selfish and you do not consider the potential impact and consequences of your actions on your surroundings. Just because you don't care what other people think about you does not mean you're an individual. It merely means other people's opinion don't affect you. Or, it could mean, you're one selfish, insolent, obnoxious being.

For example, I could dress in a certain way that is not conventionally mainstream. It does not affect me what other people think how I dress or if I look weird. I'm comfortable for being who I am so I do not let other people's opinion affect me. However, I would be careful, say, engaging in a conversation with someone I only just met to be polite and tread grounds carefully if I realise he/she is a touchy person. That does not mean I care what he/she thinks about me. It merely means I understand the importance of fundamental respect of others. Does that make me a conformist? No. The above is merely how I view on life and how I decide I will interact with the world basing on my own principles. It may just so happen that I act accordingly to social conventions but I'm not doing it BECAUSE it is a social convention, but because I want to and I think this particular social convention is accurate and sensible (as rare as it is these days).

People these days seem to confuse "trying to stand out" with "individualism."

eg. Some youths these days will like to act, dress, talk THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE to the mainstream. Does that make them an individual? I don't think so. Why? Because they're STILL following the trend! They FOLLOW the trend by doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of the trend. They might think they're cool but what they're really doing is trying to fit in the ALTERNATIVE mainstream since they couldn't fit so well with the mainstream trend.

So what makes a person an individual? Why, simply, you've made up your own rules and you live by it, unaffected by social standards. For example, I decide to wear clothes that are "in" with the current fashion, not because they're "in", but simply because the "in" fashion just happen to match my taste. The next season might not and I won't bother with it but does choosing the current "in" fashion make me a conformist and not an individual? NO! I chose to wear what I want based on my own principles and opinion.

Another example. Everyone around you is preparing for the university entrance exams while you, who's already decided that you will become a travelling photographer, ditch the university entrance exams despite negative opinions around you and follow your dream by becoming an apprentice of some prominent travelling photographer. You're doing this NOT because you want to stand out but simply because, you've reasoned to yourself that the goal you're headed for does not require an university entrance exam.

Basically, acting BASED on valid reasonings of your own, unaffected by what everyone else is doing. Some people these days THINK they're being an individual by doing something different but when you ask them why, they don't give you a valid enough reason. Simply, "Because I thought it'll be cool." I don't call that individualism. I call that being an idiot and not thinking through your decisions.

Anyways, the point is, saying "they don't care what others think" isn't a good definition on a true individual. Many people who say they don't care what others think are usually because, well, they have no respect for themselves or others - full stop.

hmmmmm - I think I'm going round and round in circles. This particular topic is very interesting to explore. I might add on or clean this up sometime later.

To me, a true individual is a person you cannot describe in one go, nor are you able to cast them under a particular mould or label. Many "individuals" these days, (amongst youths), as they call themselves, is what I'll call as "emos". :p Not so individual afterall seeing that I can actually label them.

Of course, people will argue that EVERYONE is unique - and that's true - but it seems that most people try their best to fit SOMEWHERE - which is a sad fact. True individuals are a rarity and having grown up in a Western country, I'll tell you, yes we embrace individualism but do we truly PRACTICE it? Probably not as much as you think.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Though they are self-centered, they know what they want.

That spirit was what makes the USA to the top of the world.They respect invidual styles, so even if you aren't the main stream of society.You still have your own space.

Not like Taiwaneses might always worrying what others might think of them.. it ends up having to much bad feelings in your mind, and that makes someone stop going forward.

They are self-centered for sure,but that means they understand themselves and accept themselves whether good or bad.

I think it's cool!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

That spirit was what makes the USA to the top of the world.They respect invidual styles, so even if you aren't the main stream of society.You still have your own space.

Not like Taiwaneses might always worrying what others might think of them.. it ends up having to much bad feelings in your mind, and that makes someone stop going forward.

They are self-centered for sure,but that means they understand themselves and accept themselves whether good or bad.

I think it's cool!

yeahhh... that's what their education makes them. even though I think it's a bit too way over.. like europeans, in my opinion, they know what they want without too much self-centered, so i love europeans XD but it's surely good that american students know who they are and what they want, which is what our education has ignored.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I think it's cool!

Being self-centered has nothing to do with understanding themselves and accepting themselves. You can understand yourself - that's one. You can accept yourself - that's two. Being self-centered just means you lack humility. Has nothing to do with self-understanding and acceptance. I've seen plenty of people who knows what they want and being way humble about it. Some don't see it as anything to be proud about. You SHOULD know what you want.

The States seem to have WAY too many things they pride over and as of late, the things they pride over is for ALL THE WRONG REASONS. Sure, they know what they want but a lot of the times they don't have very GOOD reasons for it. Justification is important as well - PLAUSIBLE justification which even their current government lack right now.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
passion and enthusiasm.

For what though? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjzyCLBsuBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOcz4w6Wjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9mekg2_lMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh8E7J1SPHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK65vvClAqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3pxQucA0os

:P:p:P (just watch the first two maybe - hehe)

Oh - AND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkYfYa8ePI

Just for fun watching - but this last one might just give you an idea what OTHER Western countries' view is on the States

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入