【Question】書展快到了~有什麼英文方面的書好買的呀?小說or工具書什麼都好

Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy

The three comes in the following order:

"The Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife" and then "The Amber Spyglass"

However, the North-American version have the first book "The Northern Lights" renamed as "The Golden Compass"

The Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn (Australian). They come in the following order:

"Across the Nightingale Floor", "Grass for His Pillows" and "The Brilliance of the Moon"

The sequel to the trilogy, claimed to be the last book is called "The Harsh Cry of the Heron"

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - enough said.

Harry Potter series - enough said

Garth Nix's the Abhorsen trilogy, in the following order:

"Sabriel", "Lirael" and "Abhorsen"

T.H. White's "The Sword in the Stone"

Douglas Adam's "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galasy" - a MUST read. The FUNNIEST book ever written.

Come in following order:

"The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

"The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

"Life, The Universe and Everything"

"So Long and Thanks for All the Fish"

"Mostly Harmless"

Many of Emily Rodda's (Australian) book, with a series recently made into a Japanese anime series called "Deltora Quest" I personally haven't read it myself but apparently it's good.

She also wrote "The Rowan of Rin" series. I've read the first book in year 4. Quite good.

Then there's the Teen Power Inc. series

By Louisa May Alcott, "Little Women", "Good Wives", "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys". The Little Women series in short.

Then there's "Eight Cousins", otherwise known as "Aunt Hill" followed by "Rose In Bloom"

Then, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, there's "The Secret Garden" and "A little Princess". There's also another one about a prince. I think it's also written by her called "The Lost Prince"

By Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice," Persuasion", "Emma" and "Sense and Sensibility"

"Looking for Alibrandi" by Melina Marchetta (Australian)

Ethel Turner's "Seven Little Australians" series in following order:

"Seven Little Australians"

"The Family at Misrule"

"Judy and Punch"

"Little Mother Meg"

Janet Fitch's "White Oleander"

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold

"The Greengage Summer" by Rumer Godden

Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mocking Bird" - enough said

Fannie Flagg's "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe"

Vladimir Nabokov's "Lolita" (still reading)

Joseph Heller's "Catch-22"

George Orwell's "Animal Farm" and "1984"

Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days"

"The Outsiders" by S.E.Hinton

"The Silver Sword" by Ian Serrailler

And there's lots more I can list but I'm tired and I want to sleep.

Oh wait!

Dick-King Smith and Roald Dahl's book. Not listing because you should just read all their books. :p

To start you off though:

Dick-King Smith:

"The Sheep Pig" (which is just Babe)

Here's a list of his books:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick-King_Smith

(know you know why I'm not listing?)

For Roald Dahl:

"Danny, The Champion of the World"

"James and the Giant Peach"

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

"Matilda"

"The Twits"

"Revolting Rhymes"

Those are children novels. For novels:

"Tales of the Unexpected"

Just to add a few more extras:

"Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arther Golden (pleas, don't refer to the movie. It ruined the book)

"Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier

The "Tomorrow" series by John Marsden coming in following order:

"Tomorrow, when the War Began"

"The Dead of the Night"

"The Third Day, The Frost"

"Darkness Be My Friend"

"Burning For Revenge"

"The Night Is For Hunting"

"The Other Side Of Dawn"

Ayways, that's all for now. In fact, that's all I can think of now. I'll extend when I remember more :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I forgot to recommend Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" (or any Charles Dickens' books for that matter)

Also, Virginia Woolf's "Mrs. Dalloway" and "Orlando"

Sumner Locke Elliott's "Careful, He Might Hear You." (Australian)

Note: The reason why I made sure to label the ones that are Australian is because some of them (in fact, most of them except for Lian Hearn's Otori Trilogy) will prevent you from understanding the story fully without some background information on the Australian culture and history. Another reason is Australian English is slightly different to American English so it may confuse people whilst reading. Nonetheless, they're still worth a read.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Anne of The Green Gable

Anne of Green Gables? I think I've read that before.....once upon a time. Can't remember though.

And now im reading King Lear written by Shakespeare

respectable !

Ahhh....good old King Lear. Had to do it for HSC but it was very interesting text.

most American students aren't capable of reading Shakespeare.

Errr....really? My school (well, this is in Australia) makes us read one Shakespeare text per year. I remember evenstar was saying that her high school (which was in America) studies Shakespeare as well. :s

Seriously, Shakespeare isn't that hard to understand. It's just a matter of getting used to it. Classical Chinese.....on the other hand.....I'd love to be able to read it = =|||

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Errr....really? My school (well, this is in Australia) makes us read one Shakespeare text per year. I remember evenstar was saying that her high school (which was in America) studies Shakespeare as well.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit. They certainly have the kids read the text in school, but as for kids who can really follow most of what is going on - I would say frighteningly few. You're right in that most native English speakers are able to read "Romeo and Juliet" and have at least a decent idea of what's going on. So it is probably easier than classical chinese (which to me seems like a random collection of characters lol)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
So it is probably easier than classical chinese (which to me seems like a random collection of characters lol)

Well, I remember a friend told me about an even OLDER English and apparently, it reads like Gibberish. That's probably on the same plane as Classical Chinese. Speaking of Classical Chinese, there are Wikipedia entires written in Classical Chinese (文言文)

Here's an example:

http://zh-classical.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%87%BA%E7%81%A3

Someone must have been bored :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Well, I remember a friend told me about an even OLDER English and apparently, it reads like Gibberish.

You can check out the "original" version (the one written in old English) of the Canterbury Tales, and you will see that it really is gibberish XD

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
你有想買什麼英文書嘛???

還是你有看過不錯的英文書

英文原文小說

不錯的請推吧:p

書展賣的書應該是比較新的書吧?

大多數應該都沒有人讀過,無從推薦起。

I recommand Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series, 2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001.

這些不錯。

若喜歡科幻還有這本我也推薦:

Phillip K. Dick, Paycheck

短篇小說讀起來不會累,寒假讀不完拿到學校可以一節下課讀一篇。

而且作者不太注重詞藻所以英文不難,適合用來練習英文。

最近幾年不少他的小說都開始改拍成電影。

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Ahhh....good old King Lear.

The role of the Fool falls into the theme to some degree. Although simply a servant meant to entertain Lear, the Fool's riddles contain perhaps the most truth-telling in the play. His words, thoght disguised by puns and nonsencial phrasings, are often very valuable. Moreover, because in the interesr of entertainment a royal Fool is traditionally allowed to ignore rules of social decorum. Lear's Fool is able to speak harsh truths while others are confined to respectful propriety. In the miced-up world, wisdom is hidden in a Fool's grab. Interestingly, at the same time. rashness and immaturity are hidden under the dignified robes of the king. The Fool recognizes this inversion and point it out. When Lear asks, "Dost thou call me a fool, boy? " (Do you call me a fool, boy?), the Fool replies "All other titles thou hast given away; that thou wast born with" (all other titles you have given away ;that you were born with ) lololololololololololol

I respect the Fool > <

I esteem Shakespeare > <

i feel sorry for our poor old Lear :( :'(

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入