in a website or on a website

I got confused posting my wi-fi pronunciation article about

the proper preposition in / on a website.

here is what i find through google

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Website names and addresses

Q: When referencing a website from a printed document (like a poster), do you use "on website name" or "in website name"?

--Kirsten Neil

Winnipeg, Canada

A: My theory: Most of the time, people think of websites the way they do TV channels, so they use the same preposition: "It's on Channel 9." "It's on PBS.org." But sometimes they think of websites the way they do print publications: "It was in the New York Times last Sunday." "It's in Slate." And still other times they think of websites like stores: "I saw it at Books for Cooks, and I had to have it." "Silly, it was cheaper at Amazon.com!" People also tend to use "at" with URLs, just as they use "at" with any other type of address: "Meet me at 17 Cherry Tree Lane." "The online store is at www.bootlegbaby.com."

In other words, there is no widely used standard, but you can pick one preposition and use it consistently in your own materials. Our recommendation, whether you're referring to a website from a printed document or from another webpage, is to use "on"--as in, "I saw the headline on Yahoo!."

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入