【Question】How do you guys speak English fluently?

I am so confused with the ways of improving English speaking aiblity.

Although I major in English literature and got many chance to practice English,

I still cannot speak it very well or fluently in English. Whenever I want to describe something or explain something or just express my feelings, I did pause a lot and cannot recall the vocabulary I learned...

So my question is: How do you guys improve your speaking to be fluent and well-organized? THX very much

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
So my question is: How do you guys improve your speaking to be fluent and well-organized? THX very much

Talk..A LOT with native speakers.

Although I major in English literature and got many chance to practice English,

I still cannot speak it very well or fluently in English. Whenever I want to describe something or explain something or just express my feelings, I did pause a lot and cannot recall the vocabulary I learned...

Some corrections:

Though I major in English literature and have many chances to practice my English, I still cannot speak very well or fluently in English. Whenever I want to describe something, explain something or express my feelings, I do pause a lot and cannot recall the vocabulary I'd learned.

Comments:

Ok. You do English literature. Awesome. Your written skills (judging from this post) is almost there. Just a few grammatical errors. No biggie. My question would be, whilst doing English literature, do you practice more WRITING skills or speaking skills? 'cause that may be the reason. The degree probably doesn't give you a lot of chance in practicing SPEAKING, only writing. (Just a guess anyways).

In terms of expressing your thoughts, yeah, you get that. You're not used to it yet of course, which is why I suggest you just keep practicing. Secondly, when you are trying to express your feelings, don't even BOTHER remembering the vocabulary you've learned. If you can remember them, use them by all means. If you can't remember them, DESCRIBE it and your listener may be able to understand what you mean and recall for you. Not only do you practice expressing your feelings in English, no matter how primitive or advanced your choice of words may be, you're at least praciting. At the same time, you'll learn from your mistakes. Your brain remembers better by repeating, rather than constant recalling. It'll catch on soon. Afterall, you express your opinions better in Chinese simply because you constantly express yourself in Chinese so the reverse would be the same.

Practice makes perfect. Have fun and good luck. :D

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
you express your opinions better in Chinese simply because you constantly express yourself in Chinese so the reverse would be the same.

Agreed. Once it becomes part of your daily live you certainly can be improved a lot. (Although that is not quite possible, depends on your environment)

The other way is find a non-Mandarin girl/boyfriend, and IT WORKS WELL! :E

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Wait, hang on. I just realised. You go to UNSW? Which degree? Not that I'm on campus often enough anyways(only come in on Thursdays).

Yeah I'm first year UG in Chemical Engineering, I'm quite surprised you go to unsw as well0_o

BTW, is that okay to chat here? maybe we should move to the overseas students' forum???

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Ahhhh! Fresh blood. :p

Yeah, we can chat elsewhere. I'm software engineering but I'm pretty much done. Finishing off Thesis B at the moment.

Welcome to the life of engineers where we indulge ourselves in beer, party and not much sleep for 4 years of our life. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入