【Chat】What's your English name?

What's your English name?

And say how do you have this name.

For a Example:

My name is Peter.

When I was a baby, Parents gave me a English name which is Pipi.

But the name is a little......= ='

So I gave me a name which pronounce is likeness.

Well, sonotoori(?).

By the way, my English is not very well.

If my sentence have any mistake, please correct me.

Thank you!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 回覆 285
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

do we have to introduce ourselves?

well, my name is Grace

and why Grace? because my mom found the name on the dictionary and it has a beautiful meaning :D

she wants me to be graceful, which is never gonna happen

because Im just not...

ps Grace is kind of an old name, I didn't meet any girl name grace

I only met some grandma named Grace :DD

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Don't feel like revealing my identity but I'll say my mum gave me the name because it sounds similar to my Chinese name. When we came to Australia, she wanted me to change it to Jennifer or something along those lines. I refused. My original (and current) name is much more unique and like it that way.

Personally, though, I don't see why you need to give yourself an English name. My headmistress back when I was at school approved anyone keeping their original Chinese name. It is your heritage and you should be proud of it. No need to anglosize your name. In fact, many teachers of mine share the same idea and they insist on calling my Chinese name - not that I cared. So long they pronounce it semi-correctly, I don't really care.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
do we have to introduce ourselves?

well, my name is Grace

and why Grace? because my mom found the name on the dictionary and it has a beautiful meaning :D

she wants me to be graceful, which is never gonna happen

because Im just not...

ps Grace is kind of an old name, I didn't meet any girl name grace

I only met some grandma named Grace :DD

Try google "Grace Park".

She's quite famous recently because she played Sharon Valerii in Battlestar Galactica.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Personally, though, I don't see why you need to give yourself an English name. My headmistress back when I was at school approved anyone keeping their original Chinese name. It is your heritage and you should be proud of it. No need to anglosize your name. In fact, many teachers of mine share the same idea and they insist on calling my Chinese name - not that I cared. So long they pronounce it semi-correctly, I don't really care.

Just this summer I heard an American teacher said she used to call her students' name in their own language, until she realized that she couldn't pronounce them correctly and often the wrong-pronounced name means something like "go wash dishes" in their language...:E Also, Beijing University change it's official English name to Peking University recently because it's easier for foreigners to pronounce.

I think name is just a way for people to distinguish each other's identity. You won't lose your heritage just by changing your name.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
I think name is just a way for people to distinguish each other's identity. You won't lose your heritage just by changing your name.

Well, it depends how far you go really, in changing your name. I'm just saying, there are times people give themselves English name without really thinking about its meaning. Hence, I don't know, the name's just pointless in a way. If it's hard to pronounce, deal with it is all I say. :p I recommended my cousin to just use her Chinese name since, well, my mum's was thinking about calling her Wendy or something and I'm like, "Don't go around giving her name for the sake of having one. It's like giving your pet a name. Just use her Chinese name." Sure, certain teachers at first did ask whether she had a nickname to make it easier for others to call her. Didn't have one. After a month, noone really cares and in fact, according to my cousin, all her friends have gotten very good at calling her by her Chinese name, to the point that sometimes she feels like her Taiwanese friends are calling her.

Hmmmmmm.....maybe it's also to do with the fact that it's becoming a bit of a stereotype in the Western culture and there's jokes about Asians giving themselves the weirdest of English names and unfortunately, due to culture background, many times we think we're giving ourselves cool, original English name, but in reality, they become dorky (in certain situations) or unnatural to the native ear.

For example, "Candy". I think that's like, one of the popular names people in Hong Kong give to their daughter. Coupled with having generic surnames such as "Fung".....*faints*. My school, at one point, had like 3 Candy Fung's. Thank God they were in different years but it became a problem when the headmistress needs to talk to one of them. The morning assembly sort of becomes like this:

Headmistress: Can Candy Fung see me at my office after assembly?

Someone in the theatre: Which one?

Headmistress: Candy Fung in 8th grade

Someone in the theatre: There's 2!

Headmistress: The one in class XX

= =|||

But ok, whatever. I think my point is, choose your name wisely. Don't just have one for the sake of having one. My mum was going along that tangent. She wanted me to be called Jennifer since it's more common. I was like, "Errr....no. Just...no." My brother did change his name though when he came to Australia. I guess the process in choosing your name also says something about yourself. *shrug*

Hello my name is Vergil.

The name is from a poet who created vulgus.

He is also Dante's teacher. (Dante:he is a writer of "The Bent of God"

For a moment there, I thought you got your name from "Devil May Cry 3" but of course, the game obviously borrowed stuff from other literature. *bonks head* Looks like I'm playing a bit too much games. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I have had many English names.....John, Peter, Jo,......

But I use my ID as you can see now is my English name,"Yusuke",

although I think the pronounciation in English is strange.

This name is a Japanese name read "yu-s-ke", but my English teacher would pronounce it in English like "yu-su-ki".

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入