【英美語文】我想知道這首 英文歌詞 的意思!!

我想求助英文高手們阿!!

就是啊---

Wish I could prove I love you

But does that mean I have to walk on water?

這段歌詞中的---walk on water---

到底是啥意思啊???  我們英文老師說:奇蹟發生的意思.

而我也記得我在10年考題(大學指考)上看到過這個片語.

上面也是說----奇蹟發生之類的解釋.

但是!!!!! 歌詞本上卻是翻成---虛委做人---(我知道第2個字不是那樣寫。但我打不出來啊 )

再問一個!!!有人知道---

Whatever lies beyond this morning

Is a little later on

裡的---a little later on---

是什麼意思嘛???

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Walk on water is a biblical allusion. In the bible, Jesus Christ once walked on water to prove to Peter (I think it was Peter - or something else - can't remember the entire Bible) that he is indeed Christ (or was it to save Peter? I seriously can't remember) but yeah. The point is, Jesus performed a miracle (walking on water) so that's been used ever since in English literature.

So

"Wish I could prove that I love you but does that mean I have to walk on water?"

=

"Wish I could prove that I love you but does that mean I have to perform a miracle or the impossible such as walking on water."

"a little later on" is "a while later"

So "whatever lies beyond this morning is a little later on" is basically "whatever comes after this morning is only a mere few minutes away" or "whatever comes after this morning is only a short while away". Nothing complicated really.

========

Chinese version:

耶穌在聖經裡曾在水上踏步. ie. 水上踏步 = 奇蹟發生

(gosh - I am lazy aren't I?)

Hence, yeah, that's all there is. Biblical allusion. A word of advice - read the bible, or rather, a simple version of the bible if you can find it and some Greek mythologies. Knowledge of Roman history also helps. You see, many literature in English refer to a lot of these texts.

P.S. Is this Utada Hikaru's "Simple and Clean"? Sounds like it to me.

P.P.S I don't *really* recommend Utada's English song to learn English. I find her lyrics....cheesy....and sometimes doesn't make much sense.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

[我想大膽的把接下來的回覆當英文練習...如果真的不堪入目.......請見諒 + 指教 T_T ]

In the begininning,thank you for your reply.!!! !!! !!! !!!

Yes,it's Utada Hikaru's "Simple & Clean" !!! I like this song very much.

It's a PS2 game's theme named "Heart of Kingdom".(I can't remeber the exactly name.:s )

Because I love Utada's many songs and her voice, I noticed this song. !!!

The reason I learn English from Utada's English song is that I can easily find completely sentenses from her lyrics than other pop music singers.

And her lyrics also have no any rude words like fXXX, shxt, and so on.

Somtimes,on my simulated exams, I'm too nervous to recall what I've learned from textbooks to write a composition, I would use some phrases from the lyrics I've listened such as "Regadless of warnings....".(just from Utada's "Simple & Clean.")

I don't know whether her lyrics are boring or not. However, I've found a lot of phrases which I've learn from textbooks.

Out of my curiosity, would you please tell me your outlook for her lyrics ? I really want to know your outlook, because your English is very great.(is it correct grammar?)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
It's a PS2 game's theme named "Heart of Kingdom".(I can't remeber the exactly name

It's "Kingdom Hearts" - yes, I know the game. I'm a bit of a gamer myself. :p

In the begininning,thank you for your reply.

Firstly, thank you for your reply.

Yes,it's Utada Hikaru's "Simple & Clean" I like this song very much.

Yes, It's Utada Hikaru's "Simple & Clean". <-- full stop here.

It's a PS2 game's theme named "Heart of Kingdom".(I can't remeber the exactly name. )

It's the theme song from a PS2 game called "Heart of Kingdom". (I can't remember the exact name).

Because I love Utada's many songs and her voice, I noticed this song.

I took note of this song because I love Utada's many songs and her voice.

Note: NEVER start a sentence with "because".

The reason I learn English from Utada's English song is that I can easily find completely sentenses from her lyrics than other pop music singers.

The reason why I learn English from Utada's English song is because that I can easily find complete sentences in her lyrics in comparison to other pop singers.

Note: I realise you use "completely" or "exactly" when you're not supposed. Both of those words are adverbs. Since "name" is a noun, you'll need an adjective. This is why you say "exact name" rather than "exactly name" because "name" isn't a verb. Likewise for "completely" here. "Sentence" is a noun so you'll need an adjective rather than an adverb.

And her lyrics also have no any rude words like fXXX, shxt, and so on.

I also like her songs because her lyrics do not have any rude words like f***, s*** and so forth.

OR you could say

I also like her songs because her lyrics do not have any swear words in it.

OR

I also like her songs because her lyrics do not have any words of profanity in it.

Note: Again, do not start sentences with "And".

Somtimes,on my simulated exams, I'm too nervous to recall what I've learned from textbooks to write a composition, I would use some phrases from the lyrics I've listened such as "Regadless of warnings....".(just from Utada's "Simple & Clean.")

Sometimes during my simulated exams, as I am too nervous to recall things that I've learned from textbooks to use in my compositions, I would use some phrases from the lyrics I've listened to such as "Regardless of warnings..." (from Utada's "Simple & Clean").

I don't know whether her lyrics are boring or not. However, I've found a lot of phrases which I've learn from textbooks.

I don't know whether or not her lyrics are boring. However, I've found many phrases in her lyrics that I've learned from textbooks.

Out of my curiosity, would you please tell me your outlook for her lyrics ? I really want to know your outlook, because your English is very great.(is it correct grammar?)

Just out of curiosity, would you please tell me your opinion on her lyrics? I really want to know your opinion because your English is really good.

Personal Note: Your English is good, just some expression awkwardness and few grammatical errors. Keep it up.

Response to your question:

Firstly, I grew up overseas so being fluent in English isn't really anything special.

Secondly, my opinion on Utada's lyrics is...well, just my opinion. Don't take it too seriously.

As for my opinion on her lyrics, well.....I just find it awkward. It's one of those lyrics that makes you go "hmmmmmmm". I don't know. I just don't find her lyrics inspiring or anything. I can't really explain. AWKWARD is the best I can sum it up.

There's plenty of good lyrics out there WITHOUT swear words. In fact, all you need to do is stay away from Urban music (and probably most pop music these days) and you won't need to deal with too much of it.

Some lyrics worth checking out:

Alicia Keys' "If I Ain't Got You"

Seal's "Kiss from a Rose"

just to name a few. Since I have an assignment due in like...21 hours or so, I'm not going to linger around here too much. I'll come back and name a few more other good lyrics there.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Thank you for your reply again. !!!

Now, I think that I know why you think Utada's songs as awkward.

Her lyrics have a lot of great grammers but don't have any meanings.

She only talks about her daily life in her songs.

Most of them, don't have any meanings. However, I still love her "music" and voice very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RefdhRjRSM

.........................................................................................................................................

My English teacher also recommends us Alicia's songs.

I'll try to find some at leisure.(I have to prepare for my "college entrance exam." = =' )

Then, I have some questions want to ask a favor of you.

firstly, what's the meaning of "What'cha"?

Secondly, how to use "there is or there are?" (I also don't know 問號 should put where,exactly.)

My teacher says that we should avoid to use it because it isn't easy to use.

She've told me how to use it but I just forget.= ="

Thirdly, I've had a translation was 那名時尚設計師說, 今年春天粉紅色將蔚為風尚.

My answer is --- That fashion designer says that pink will being a fad this spring.

My teacher told me the correct answer is "fashion." I really don't know how to use the word "fashionable."

She also told me that I can't use "fad" and 粉紅色 should write as "the color pink."

Finally, 我在上面所有用的 "as" 有錯嗎?(I can't translate it.= ="" )

............................................................................................................................................

題外話(= ="" )

My teacher say that if we really want to express our English is broken we should say "My English is POOR" but your 簽名檔 wrote in "badly"................

That's all. Thank you very, very much. :D

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

My teacher say that if we really want to express our English is broken we should say "My English is POOR" but your 簽名檔 wrote in "badly"................

That's all. Thank you very, very much. :D

If not mistaken, "A is poor" means A lacks something(especially money).

So you shouldn't say "My English is poor", instead, you should say something like "I speak poor English". By same rule, "He is so poor" can only means 他好窮, and can never means 他好可憐.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Thank you for your reply again.

Now, I think that I know why you think Utada's songs as awkward.

Now I think I know why you think Utada's songs are awkward.

Her lyrics have a lot of great grammers but don't have any meanings.

hmmmm - curious, curious. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Here's an attempt in revising:

Her lyrics have good grammar but overall, do not hold any particular meaning.

She only talks about her daily life in her songs.

Most of them, don't have any meanings. However, I still love her "music" and voice very much.

Most of them don't have any meanings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RefdhRjRSM

.........................................................................................................................................

My English teacher also recommends us Alicia's songs.

My English teacher also recommend Alicia's songs to us.

I'll try to find some at leisure.(I have to prepare for my "college entrance exam." )

Then, I have some questions want to ask a favor of you.

Now, I have some questions that I want to ask you.

firstly, what's the meaning of "What'cha"?

Well......hmmmmm - it's a made up word. A short form of "What are you".

eg.

What are you doing? = What'cha doing?

DON'T recommend you using it like, EVER. Unless you're writing a story and you want to portray a certain character's talking style. It's an unofficial short form created over time.

Secondly, how to use "there is or there are?" (I also don't know 問號 should put where,exactly.)

Secondly, how do you use "there is" or "there are"? (I also don't know where exactly to put the question mark).

Answer: There is or there are? I'm not quite sure what you're trying to ask.

There is a cat sitting over the fence.

and

There are a few cats sitting over the fence.

"There is" is used for singular forms while "There are" is used for plural forms.

As for question marks, errr....well....just put it at the end of question really. Don't know what else to say about that.

My teacher says that we should avoid to use it because it isn't easy to use.

She've told me how to use it but I just forget.

She'd told me how to use it but I've forgotten already.

Question: What's hard to use?

Thirdly, I've had a translation was 那名時尚設計師說, 今年春天粉紅色將蔚為風尚.

Thirdly, I've had a translation THAT was...etc.

My answer is --- That fashion designer says that pink will being a fad this spring.

That fashion designer says that the colour pink will become fashionable this Spring.

Note: You may have noticed I've spelt certain words differently and may have a few variances in grammar usage. That's because I'm from Australia and English there is quite different to the States.

She also told me that I can't use "fad" and 粉紅色 should write as "the color pink."

Fad is something that is fashionable for a short time. Fashionable is a more sensible choice than fad as, well, the colour pink can't become a fad really. It's more something like....Paris Hilton fashion that can become a fad. Fashionable and famous for one short period and never again. As for "the colour pink" instead of "pink", yes. Your teacher is correct. Pink is an adjective, not a noun. The way you've used it is as if you're treating pink as a noun, which is incorrect.

Finally, 我在上面所有用的 "as" 有錯嗎?(I can't translate it. )

She also told me that I can't use "fad" and 粉紅色 should be written as "the color pink."

Answer: Almost :p

............................................................................................................................................

題外話( )

That's all. Thank you very, very much

My teacher says that if we really want to express that we have broken English, we should say, "My English is poor".

Answer: I wrote "badly"? Where? My signature was a joke by the way.

"My English is bad?! That's unpossible!"

It should be, "My English is bad?! That's impossible!" - get the joke?

So you shouldn't say "My English is poor", instead, you should say something like "I speak poor English". By same rule, "He is so poor" can only means 他好窮, and can never means 他好可憐.

My English is poor.....is fine actually. We get it. So you can use it. No worry though if you want to be TECHNICALLY correct, fine. You can say "I speak poor English". Same deal.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

[經過一番思考後...我想.我主要還是用"中文"發問好了...:$ 因為我發現有些地方我自己都覺得我寫的怪怪的.....也真的不太能表達我真的想要說的意思.....= ="" = ="" ]

我是在你說Utada的歌詞很爛後.再仔細的看了一遍他的歌詞.(拋棄掉我一直很崇拜他的聲音很有實力的這點後.)

我發現他第1張專輯真的有很多歌詞不知所云.例如:You Make Me Want To Be A Man.

我嘗試著去把他翻成中文.但......有些地方感覺是突然冒出來的一樣.該怎麼說咧.就像是"唐詩"那樣吧.......感覺他好像省略了很多"劇情".

再來就是他幾乎都是寫一些生活的事...都在敘述吧!!(例如:S & C...)感覺跟其他外國人的歌詞觀很不同.......不過.我到不覺得她用的單字很差啦(基本上比我好很多...)

不過....還有一點我超超超好奇的.....那就是他的專輯(exodus)封面!!就連我們這些亞洲歌迷都忍不住會心一笑了........我想西方人應該笑瘋了吧:E

很多宇多田的歌迷都很想"謀殺"她的造型師.....超級懷疑她的造型師的審美觀:E :E

還有她的mv (easy breesy)啊 !! 她的造型真的是........所以我一直在想西方人(觀念較開放)的眼裡她到底會是怎樣 !!!

..............................................................................................................................................

首先..我當然不會把"what'cha"用在作文上啦!!! 除非我想被我英文老師踹飛..:E :E

我只是因為在英文歌詞上常看到又不懂什麼意思所以才問的 !!!

至於there are那個.....老實說我也不太會表達耶.....= ="

就是.我們英文老師說我們常中翻英.所以就會常用there are代替中文的"有".

例如.我曾寫過一篇作文...是看圖作文.其中一張圖是有一個放在窗台上的花盆要掉下來砸到一個小男孩了.....

所以我就寫there is a 花盆 .......(後面省略..= ="" .). (我有點忘了當初怎麼寫了...大概是這樣吧!!)

然後我們老師就說我不能這樣用........但我現在有點忘了到底要怎麼用.而且我也不會再回學校去了.所以我想問你...

至於問號要怎麼擺咧....我的意思是說....通常當你說完一句話後句點不是要放引號"內"嗎 !

但是...我的問題是整個句子的.不是問題裡的.所以我有點搞混到底要放那...不過我現在懂了!!

還有就是上幾句回覆.....我說 "whether XXXXX or not."但你把它改成 "whether or not XXXX." 我想我寫的應該沒錯吧!!

最後.....你是說我所有用的as 都用錯了嗎!!!= ="

所以不能用---write as 囉!!

至於"badly"嘛!!----------是我看錯了啦~~~~哈哈哈= =""

可是我們英文老師很明確的說了...不能用bad耶.....

不過他也補充說 如果會用 poor 的話.英文程度就不差了.!!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
我是在你說Utada的歌詞很爛後.再仔細的看了一遍他的歌詞.(拋棄掉我一直很崇拜他的聲音很有實力的這點後.)

我有說很爛嘛? 因該是怪怪的啦. 最近的英文歌也沒好到哪去. = =""

You Make Me Want To Be A Man.

I....need to listen to that song. Curious title....

該怎麼說咧.就像是"唐詩"那樣吧.......感覺他好像省略了很多"劇情".

You mean abstract? I guess what happened was she's TRYING to be abstract but fails miserably.

There's a few other stuff. For one, in Simple and Clean, there's a line that goes, "I love you but does that mean I have to meet your Father." I was like, "Ok...............where did that come from?" I don't know...I guess, as you said, her lyrics sort of just...pop out of anywhere and doesn't really make much sense. = ='

感覺跟其他外國人的歌詞觀很不同

Well......not all of them are good anyways......especially these days. You're better off reading poems than lyrics of mainstream pop songs. Take Avril Lavigne's, "I want to be your girlfriend."

Here's a line:

She's like, so whatever

You could do so much better

Ok - "She's like, so whatever." This line - what in the WORLD does that mean? The thing that annoys me about this song is, fine, sure, you use teenage language so it sells better but at the end of the day, THE LYRICS DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE!! Proves that you can sell ANY music these days so long you have the hook.

ie. "Hey hey! You you! I don't like your girlfriend!" *sigh*

就連我們這些亞洲歌迷都忍不住會心一笑了........我想西方人應該笑瘋了吧

Well, for one. Her album never made it to the shores of Australia. I didn't even know she had an album out in the States. When I heard her song, Easy Breezy I was quite speechless. (I mean, "Easy breezy, I'm Japanesy? What in the world?!)

最後.....你是說我所有用的as 都用錯了嗎

所以不能用---write as 囉!!

Errr....yeah....no. Wrong grammar. WRITTEN as.

可是我們英文老師很明確的說了...不能用bad耶.....

不過他也補充說 如果會用 poor 的話.英文程度就不差了.!!

I think....the point was to EXPAND your vocabulary. Rather than using a kindergarten term "bad", you could use "poor" or "appalling" or "atrocious" or "lack practice" or "unpolished" etc.etc. - whatever. Depending on context. If you keep using "bad" as an adjective for EVERYTHING you're trying to describe that is....deemed inadequate or...well, generally, BAD (depending on context), then yes. That will give people the impression you don't have very good English because you're limiting your choice of vocabulary. It's like people using f***ing for every single they're describing these days. (well...I guess that's a little over towards the extreme side)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

[請允許我 中英 並用.....:E ]

This is her English album's cover :

http://www6.islandrecords.com/utada/site/assets/promote/wallpapers/utada-wp-1-800.jpg

I forget that her album only sells to UK and US.

老實說.我還真不懂既然都說同樣的語言.又都算大國.為什麼不能都發行咧 ??

I don't know how can you listen to this song---Easy Breesy ?

I think that the reason why she wrote "you're Easy Breesy, and I'm Japanessy." is because she wants to make some "rhythm".

Breesy and Japaneesy.

我想我之所以不太了解她的部份歌詞.大概有一大部分是拜"極度商業化"的翻譯員所賜的吧!!

By th way, your some replies are really complicate to me.

For example, "just to name a few. Since I have an assignment due in like...21 hours or so, I'm not going to linger around here too much. I'll come back and name a few more other good lyrics there."

I understaood it after I asked a favor of my teacher. However, it also makes advantage to me in learning English. :E

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
老實說.我還真不懂既然都說同樣的語言.又都算大國.為什麼不能都發行咧 ??

Australia's ALWAYS slow - not to mention, if it didn't sell good in the states and the UK, why bother? Also, I actually googled her album cover already. What I meant was I'm not exactly sure how people reacted towards her album cover seeing that noone knew about it really.

I think that the reason why she wrote "you're Easy Breesy, and I'm Japanessy." is because she wants to make some "rhythm".

I think...the word is "rhyme". Yes, she's trying to make it rhyme, but just making things rhyme doesn't guarantee good lyrics.

By th way, your some replies are really complicate to me.

By the way, some of your replies are hard for me to understand. (Is that what you mean?)

I understaood it after I asked a favor of my teacher. However, it also makes advantage to me in learning English.

I understood it after I asked my teacher. It is, however, a good opportunity to improve my English.

Question: You seem to like to use the word, "favour" a lot. May I ask why? It's just that you've used it twice up till now and unfortunately, none of the two were used correctly. Maybe you can show us what you *wanted* to say in Chinese and let's see how we can use it correctly?

Since I have an assignment due in like...21 hours or so, I'm not going to linger around here too much.

Ahahahahaha.......=.=||| The assignment.....well, it wasn't really done till like 24 hours AFTER deadline at least but whatever. I'm over it. There's....2 more assignments plus 4 more exams for me before the end of session.....then two more exams during examination period. Oh joy! *laughs bitterly*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入