【Question】Is accent important?

you should really concern about that.

you should really BE concerned about that.

Yeah...I guess so. I'm wondering. See, there's different English accents. There's American, Irish, Scottish, Australian, Kiwi, English and even WITHIN these major accents, there have other accents as well. For example, there's at least 3 different types of Australian accent. We have the sort of, formal Australian accent that you hear on Australian news which sounds almost English sometimes (not really - almost), then we have the average Australian accent and then we have the typical, broad, Australian accent that you hear Steve Irwin use *cringe*. Australian women with bogan accents sound so freakishly annoying and horrible I have to say. >_>

Anyways, putting that aside, what I'm getting at is even amongst native speakers, certain people can't understand certain accents due to lack of exposure. For example, Americans sometimes say they can't understand Aussie or Canadian accent (lol). I remember watching Billy Elliot and I had to have the subtitles on 'cause I couldn't really understand the strong Scottish accent. Took me a while to get adjusted to it. Jamaican accent is mind boggling. I always think, "Is that even ENGLISH?" when I hear them speak. However, once you get used to it, you get used to it. Like, another thing I've experienced is most Australians can't really understand some of the quirks or mispronunciations many Chinese speakers make when speaking English. On the other hand, I have absolutely no problem because I'm so used to listening to Chinese accents.

Hmmm....tricky tricky. Though I have to say, Swedish accent is perfectly easy to understand. Maybe the solution is, try and rectify as much until most people don't have trouble understanding and you should be fine. As for completely eliminating it, might not be possible. Even now, my friends find it extremely weird when I ponounce things in "fobbish" ways (as they call it) admist my normal Australian accent. Like, for example, I still say "Ultimo" as "OOtimo" as oppose to "ULtimo" due to my mum saying it the first way ever since I can remember. *shrug*

Going off topic. I'll stop here.

pronounceation

proNUNcIAtion

natinal Speaker.

native speaker

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 months later...

Hi there!

In my opinion,

once you say it out loud, it won't matter if it sounds awesome or awful.

Language is just a tool for you to communicate with others.

Besides, you should be confident of yourself.

Say it out loud! Nothing's gonna bother :)

Don't worry.

The point is that you have to make others understand your expression or what you're trying to say :)

Cheer!

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 1 month later...

the most important point is that others understands you.

if they can not,you will have to improve youself.

take me for example,

at the beginning,the only one that can know what i am talking about is me= =""

i then tried listening to radios and immitate thier accent(this really helps a lot)

now though i still have something to improve.i can finally let others say'oh i understand you'when we are talking.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
well.. as long it's understandable.. it should not be a problem..

Yes - seriously, that's really the bottom line. No one really cares (or should I say, no DECENT person really cares). At my work, we have Swedish, French, German, English, Canadians, Americans, Chinese and Indians. We can all speak English perfectly but we all have our own accent - but no one cares because we can all understand each other. Funny things do happen from time to time though.

eg. My French colleague sometimes still say things in the French pronunciation and it sort of goes like this:

Him: We're going to "The Province" (some restaurant) (but in French pronunciation).

Me: ProVInce (in English)

Him: Whatever. It was originally French. You stole our language.

Me: Yeah, ok. Fair enough.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've never really had a problem with accent. My natural accent (the accent you hear me mumbling in if you wake me up at 3 AM) is General American, and by general I mean non-specific, for example I don't speak Bronx or Southern. But I pull off a British accent fairly well.

Just saying.

Back to the point, I think unless you are in a situation that requires you to impress somebody, accent really doesn't matter. But still it's always worth it to have a trick or two up your sleeve

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

pronunciation? yes.

accent? not really...

there are various accent in the world,

such as so called "British accent" is actually just a kind of London ACCENTS.

just like foreign chinese learners can hardly have the orthodox accent, it's ok to have your own accent.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入