【Question】Is accent important?

• 2 weeks later...

Careful, if your pronunciation is really too terrible, you may turn some allophones into homophones, which will cause misunderstanding. It's not necessary to remove Chinese accent completely. So long as your skin colour is yellow, they just won't think you a white. Adopting British Received Pronunciation or learning General American is all just for the purpose of showing off or for entertainment only.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

it's ok if you just want to comunicate with native speakers, most people will understand. Just like most Chinese can understand people speaking chinese with a tiwanese accent. However, if you attend speech contests it's going to matter. I think most tiwanese judges prefer British accents. (not sure though, just personal experience)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Not exactly. All you have to do is stop studing Japanes that hard and you won't have the accent problem anymore. Anyway what matters is your pronounciation;especially during a conversation peole don't care much about your accent att all. So take it easy,accent isn't every thing.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
it's ok if you just want to comunicate with native speakers, most people will understand. Just like most Chinese can understand people speaking chinese with a tiwanese accent. However, if you attend speech contests it's going to matter. I think most tiwanese judges prefer British accents. (not sure though, just personal experience)

What's with the British accents anyway? Personally I find it much easier speaking with a British accent when you're doing a speech, since American English demands more accuracy on pronunciation than British English...I never tried it though, but I did see some people doing speeches in British accents back in junior high...Don't know if it was intentional or not, but I despised them for it = =凸 (the ones that faked them)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Having an accent is fine but just make sure your pronunciation and grammar is correct and most definitely don't mumble when you speak for fear of getting it wrong because that makes it even harder to understand. Accent usually makes you sound more colourful and interesting anyways. If everyone sounds the same when they speak, then we won't have a culture at all.

I always tend to find English with heavy Taiwanese accent hard to understand though because Taiwanese seem to mumble when they speak, making it hard to hear. Heavy Indian accents' the worst to listen to I reckon though. I have SO MUCH difficulty trying to understand - which makes the lovely phone call to a company's customer support all the more lovelier. *sarcasm intended*

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Having an accent is fine but just make sure your pronunciation and grammar is correct and most definitely don't mumble when you speak for fear of getting it wrong because that makes it even harder to understand. Accent usually makes you sound more colourful and interesting anyways. If everyone sounds the same when they speak, then we won't have a culture at all.

I always tend to find English with heavy Taiwanese accent hard to understand though because Taiwanese seem to mumble when they speak, making it hard to hear. Heavy Indian accents' the worst to listen to I reckon though. I have SO MUCH difficulty trying to understand - which makes the lovely phone call to a company's customer support all the more lovelier. *sarcasm intended*

I know what you are talking about precisely! Once in a while when I heard the Indian accent, it somehow made myself burst into laughters( horrible gesture, kids, do not learn this.)

Sometimes, when I a particular word, my German jumps out. lol

i.e: Hoegaarden beer from Belgium, I would pronounce it as " Hooeegaaaarden" xDDD

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

that's my problem. when i was in elementary school, i thought that i should speak as fast as i can and connect every single word. some of those backstabbers said that my english is merely gibberish...it's bitter but true. now i read articles on those english megazine almost every day to fix it. it turns out that now i'm having a robot accent. orz

about accent, it doesn't matter, cuz you can't tell which accent is the "official" english.

btw, about that mumble thing, my english conversation teacher said it becuz in chinese, we don't have words that need us to open our mouth as big as we speak in english...hmm, i can't really find a good example now....like "end" and "and," for me, they were the same.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 weeks later...
btw, about that mumble thing, my english conversation teacher said it becuz in chinese, we don't have words that need us to open our mouth as big as we speak in english...hmm, i can't really find a good example now....like "end" and "and," for me, they were the same.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - interesting.......MIGHT be the reason.

I know what you are talking about precisely! Once in a while when I heard the Indian accent, it somehow made myself burst into laughters( horrible gesture, kids, do not learn this.)

Lol....I've heard enough of Indian accents so I'm used to it - doesn't cause me to laugh. Just misunderstanding can happen easily - especially between 30 and 70 - I don't know why but Indians seem to have trouble pronouncing those two. I was at a car wash once and one of the employees there was trying to sell me their special car wash deal and said it was 70 - 'cept I kept hearing it as 30 - so I asked, "So it's 30?"

Him: No. 70 (but in my ears, it sounded like 30)

Me: Oh, so it is 30?

Him: No! 70! 7. 0.

Me: 3. 0?

Him: No. *shows on finger* 7. 0.

Me:...ohhhhhhhhhh

>_>

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

"You seem like nice person. I give you special price. Sirty-faw fifty!"

"That's 50c, man!"

"Fifty cent is a looooooooooooooooooot of munny. Today you save fifty cent here, you go somewhere else, you buy something, you save 50 cent again, then you have one dallar. You take that dallar and go to zer dallar shop and you buy something elllsse~~! Be a man!"

:p

Man, he was great with that skit. :p

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入