【Chat】What's your English name?

• 回覆 285
  • Created
  • 最後回覆

Top Posters In This Topic

my english name was Bunny, naturally because my mom thinks bunny is cute...

but when I went to high school...the teacher told me to change it, otherwise many male students will think it as a "playboy bunny"...Orz

now I use Sharon =D which has the similar pronunciation to my chinese name !

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

Because my first name is Chao-Hung, so everyone just calls me Chao, the pronunciation is same as "Ciao" which means hello(bye) in Spanish and Italian. I do love this name. Besides, there are still a few people who call me the name I got when I was 4 years old---Simon. and some of the European pronounce it purposely as a female name Simone. ="=My Japanese friend always calls me "Taiwan"....the conclusion is that I do have a lot of names, and those people often confuse my name, especially for Chao and Simon...lol

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, I have the problem of confusing people with my name in documents. Like, I'll tell my teachers my English name then when they try to find me on the roll, they can't because I'm registered under my Chinese name. On the other hand, I'll be using my Chinese name in legal documents and bank accounts, confusing telephone operators (most of the time) because they can't pronounce my name so I have to tell them my English name (which they usually thank me for because they just don't have the energy to say the Chinese name). Now that I've started working, even more confusing. I signed all my documents with my Chinese name and then in brackets, "preferred name: <English name>". Job contracts now vary from company to company. One contract only has my Chinese name while the other contract puts me under <Chinese name> (English name) <surname>. My gawd.......I'm going to have hell with all these variations of names on my legal documents = =|||

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

My mom used to call me Martin, before I started using Dennis as my nickname. She gave me this name probably becuase of the last character of my chinese name: Tin (鈿 in Cantonese).

Then, when I was studying in primary school in Taipei, my English teacher decided to call me Dennis. Again, it was because of that character: Dian (鈿 in Mandarin).

My French teacher, who's French, told me that the variant of Dennis in French is Denis, while the other French teacher, who's Taiwanese, just unconsciously called me Daniel so often that I kind of get used to that one.

So, usually I just call myself Dennis/Denis, though I use Daniel sometimes, in some very rare situations.

But definately I would only introduce myself as either Dennis/Denis or Daniel, not both, since they are from different origins.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 2 weeks later...

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入