【Chat】I hate the English Education in my school

In my class,every student have to study several English readings such as Dixon,Concept&Comment(An English text book which is published by American for overseas Students),Land Mark English Magazine(It will change to Ivy when we become 2 grade) and 7000 words......That is not so nasty,but our English teacher takes tests for these readings almost everyday! She seems not to mind our main subjects beside English,when we get a lower grade,she complains that we just study her readings for the test.........

In addition,the Monthly Exam always includes those readings,and the English Exam has to take 2 times test because the range is too large......(the first is about our main text book,dixon,C&C....the second one is about our landmark magazine).....also....when our performance is not very well,she still complains about our studying altitude.....I often think she considers our school work as an English cram school.......

I write the article just for complain.......I write it in English because I don't hate English....I just......hate the way of teaching English........Does the situation occur in every senior high? I'm very curious..............

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I imagine this sort of things happen very often in Taiwanese high school, though I didn't encounter it.

Some of the books you mentioned are also used in the US, I would recommend that you read them as a hobby.

I you can pull yourself together (I wonder if this is the right phrase) in bigger tests, I think it's OK to ignore your teacher as long as she don't punish you for it.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

The answer will be "yes", I'm afraid.

The exam we have in our school, inclues not only our textbooks(of course)and the magazine we're forced to read, other than that, we have another book to study is called "All about the USA"(and they're from the US). Add them all up, you'll find not only you have huge ranges, other schools as well.

A lot, or even too much(in your case I guess), I agree. But since you don't hate English(that's good to know), why not enjoy them and, well about the teacher, just ignore her(that's what I'll do).

But still, you have to study.(of course!!)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

First of all, I think you don't really hate English, and you have the ability to write a passage that can be easily interpreted by everyone. Just KEEP GOOD WORK.;-)

However, I found out some mistakes in your passage.

Pay more attention to every detail, and I think you can make your work better and better.

I don't think it is bad to take tests when you are in steady progress.

Nevertheless, I don't like your English teacher's attitude either.

(P.S. Attitude is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from Altitude. You made this mistakes in the passage above. Please remember the difference between them.)

When it comes to the attitude toward studying English, I think being diligent and having a good studying habit is most important of all. For example, I am a commuter in Taipei, always take a bus to go home. I would make full use of the period, which lasts for 40 minutes per run. Reading magazine or reviewing my lesson...etc. There are a lot of missions for me to finish. In spite of the fact that it is sometimes a tiring work, I keep my good work at school. Moreover, when I am free, I will also find some further information.

"Learn more from daily life, apply what you have learned, and don't put restriction on yourself." I think these rules are what I always abide by. Don't you think it will be much better if we can enjoy the learning process?

I think you are really eager to learn English; however, your English teacher's attitude make you feel not good at all. I hope you can find out some ways to enjoy learning English even if under the stress of something unpleasant.:E

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

You know, Balie, you sound like you're scolding LingeringX.

What book do you use to study English? Your method sounds very...Taiwanese. I think learning language should be a natural process. You should read essays, watch films, talk with others...etc. Memorizing vocabularies and grammar rules written on textbook is not very helpful.

BTW,

You made this mistakes in the passage above

you made a mistake while correcting other's mistake.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Memorizing vocabularies and grammar rules written on textbook is not very helpful.

Memorizing vocabularies and grammar rules written in textbooks is not very helpful. This would be better!

ps Would you mind I quote your post as the part of my signature? Youre the king of debate lol :P

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well I think most senior high school are, and not only senior high schools, it's like most of the schools are. This is how the way English is being taught in Taiwan, even if you hate it, you can't really do anything about it. So.... if you don't like it this way, you can do it your own way, just remember to do well with the tests and exams and most teachers won't care about how you learned it.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
You know, Balie, you sound like you're scolding LingeringX.

Yes, I think really did that because I think everyone might feel tired of the style that he or most of us have accepted;however, I think we need to capture the essence of the lesson. After all, a normal student in Taiwan has few opportunities to learn English besides textbooks and the magazine subscribed by school owing to the stress of studying other subjects.

What book do you use to study English? Your method sounds very...Taiwanese. I think learning language should be a natural process.

Taiwanese... You can say that again, but I have my reason to do so.

I've read an instruction that tells of some skills about how to improve the reading ability.

1. Catch Key Word

2. Divide Long Sentences

3. Make inferences and assumptions

4. Read A LOT and reread the same book many times

I just want to abide by these rules because I know I need to grasp any chance.

However, it is a big PITY that I can't read a lot. It is very sarcastic simultaneously.

BTW, you made a mistake while correcting other's mistake.

No matter what, I am in appreciation of your advice, and I will try my level best to keep improving my English ability.

Natural? I am very confused about this word.

The way how I study English is not proper? How can I improve?

What justinyeh said makes me TOTALLY confused.

Would you mind sharing your experience with me?

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

I thought I already explained. The best way to learn a language is to use it like using your native tongue. Watch films without Chinese subtitles, surf English website, chat in English here... You'll naturally build up your ability to use English.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Raiding this place for corrections:

In my class,every student have to study several English readings such as Dixon,Concept&Comment(An English text book which is published by American for overseas Students),

In my class, every student has to study several English readings such as "Dixon, Concept & Comment" (an English textbook which was published by an American for overseas students).

Note: Please put quotation marks around book titles. I almost thought you've mentioned 2 titles there - "Dixon" and "Concept & Comment".

Land Mark English Magazine(It will change to Ivy when we become 2 grade) and 7000 words......That is not so nasty,but our English teacher takes tests for these readings almost everyday! She seems not to mind our main subjects beside English,when we get a lower grade,she complains that we just study her readings for the test.........

"Land Mark English Magazine" (it will change to Ivy when we are in 2nd grade) and 7000 words.......these are not so nasty, but our English teacher takes tests for these readings almost everyday! She seems to not care about our other main subjects besides English and when we get a lower grade for her subject, she complains that we just studied her readings for the test....

Note: I'm actually VERY confused what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that your English teacher don't really care about any other subjects besides English and if you don't get a good grade in English, she complains that you didn't study what she told you to study?

In addition,the Monthly Exam always includes those readings,and the English Exam has to take 2 times test because the range is too large......(the first is about our main text book,dixon,C&C....the second one is about our landmark magazine).....also....when our performance is not very well,she still complains about our studying altitude.....I often think she considers our school work as an English cram school.......

In addition, the monthly exams always include the above mentioned readings and there are two English exams due to the range of examinable material being too large (the first exam is based on our main text, "Dixon, C&C" and the second is based on our "Landmark" magazine). Also, when our performance isn't acceptable, she'll complain about our studying attitude. I often think she treats our school as an English cram school.

Notes and comments:

- Don't know why you're using capital letters when saying "Monthly Exams". It's not a formal title or anything so there's no need.

- "always include those readings" - what readings? Yes, you've mentioned before but you need to make it clear in your statement, hence the change to "above mentioned readings" so people know EXACTLY what readings you were referring to.

- altitude is height. eg. The altitude of the airplane is currently 200km above sea level

I write the article just for complain.......I write it in English because I don't hate English....I just......hate the way of teaching English........Does the situation occur in every senior high? I'm very curious..............

I opened this topic just to complain. I write in English because I don't hate English, I just hate the way English is taught at our school. Is this situation prevalent in every senior high school? I'm very curious.

Comment: Again, why do people use the word "article"? You're not writing a news article as such. In this particular instance, you're RANTING. What does the dictionary/textbook say that makes you use the word "article"? What's the confusion there?

though I didn't encounter it.

though I've never encountered it.

Some of the books you mentioned are also used in the US, I would recommend that you read them as a hobby.

I you can pull yourself together (I wonder if this is the right phrase) in bigger tests, I think it's OK to ignore your teacher as long as she don't punish you for it.

Some of the books you've mentioned there are also used in the US. I recommend that you read them as a hobby.

Are you trying to use the phrase "you can pull yourself together"? Even so, the sentence still doesn't make sense.....

I think it's OK to ignore your teacher as long as she doesn't punish you for it.

The answer will be "yes", I'm afraid.

The exam we have in our school, inclues not only our textbooks(of course)and the magazine we're forced to read, other than that, we have another book to study is called "All about the USA"(and they're from the US). Add them all up, you'll find not only you have huge ranges, other schools as well.

A lot, or even too much(in your case I guess), I agree. But since you don't hate English(that's good to know), why not enjoy them and, well about the teacher, just ignore her(that's what I'll do).

But still, you have to study.(of course!!)

General note before I continue. They way you've arranged your comment/paragraph is in Chinese style. Don't go into a new line everytime you write a new sentence. That's Chinese way of text arrangement. A new line (ie. Enter button) is only needed if you're presenting a new idea ie. writing a new paragraph. Just a comment because I see a lot of people do this (though I'll do the opposite in Chinese sections ^.^|||)

The answer will be "yes", I'm afraid. The exams we have in our school includes not only our textbooks(of course)and the magazine we're forced to read, but also another book called "All about the USA"(and they're from the US).

Add them all up, you'll find not only you have huge ranges, other schools as well. <-- ?????

It really is (and in your case as well, I guess) a lot, I agree, but since you don't hate English(that's good to know), why not try and enjoy the subject? As for your teacher, just ignore her (that what I'd do). Though, of course, you still have to study.

Comments: Don't start a sentence with "But" and don't overuse phrases within brackets. Try and use commas instead.

Just KEEP GOOD WORK.

Just keep up the good work.

However, I found out some mistakes in your passage.

Pay more attention to every detail, and I think you can make your work better and better.

However, I've noticed a few mistakes in your passage. Pay more attention to every detail and I think you can improve your writing.

I don't think it is bad to take tests when you are in steady progress.

????????

When it comes to the attitude toward studying English,

When it comes to the attitude TOWARDS studying English

is most important of all.

is very important.

For example, I am a commuter in Taipei, always take a bus to go home. I would make full use of the period, which lasts for 40 minutes per run.

For example, it takes me 40 minutes to take the bus home, so I would make full use of this period to read magazines or review my lesson...etc.

There are a lot of missions for me to finish.

There's a lot for me to do.

or

There's a lot for me to finish.

Mission is fine - just an odd way of expressing that's all.

In spite of the fact that it is sometimes a tiring work, I keep my good work at school.

Despite the fact that it is sometimes a tiring work, I still keep good grades at school.

Moreover, when I am free, I will also find some further information.

Information about what?

and don't put restriction on yourself.

and don't restrict yourself.

your English teacher's attitude make you feel not good at all

Well, plenty of way to rephrase this.

your English teacher's attitude deflates your enthusiasm.

That's just one. I'll think of others....if I can be bothered that is.

I hope you can find out some ways to enjoy learning English even if under the stress of something unpleasant.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the process of learning English even if you're under stress.

Notes: Stress occurs when people have to deal with unpleasant things. Hence, there's no need to say "even if you're under stress over unpleasant things" as it's redundant.

What book do you use to study English?

Which books do you use to study English?

I think learning language should be a natural process.

I think learning a language should be a natural process.

Memorizing vocabularies and grammar rules written on textbook is not very helpful.
Memorizing vocabularies and grammar rules written in textbooks is not very helpful.

Memorizing vocabularies and grammar rules written in textbooks ARE not very helpful.

^.^|||

Well I think most senior high school are, and not only senior high schools, it's like most of the schools are.

are......what?

This is how the way English is being taught in Taiwan, even if you hate it, you can't really do anything about it. So.... if you don't like it this way, you can do it your own way, just remember to do well with the tests and exams and most teachers won't care about how you learned it.

This is how English is being taught in Taiwan. Even if you hate it, you can't really do anything about it. Hence, if you don't like this current teaching method, you can try learning English in your own way. Just make sure to do well in tests and exams and most teachers won't care how you do it.

Yes, I think really did that because I think everyone might feel tired of the style that he or most of us have accepted;however,

I suggest you just start a new sentence here. ie. ....accepted. However, etc...

I think really did that because

I think I really did that etc.

I think we need to capture the essence of the lesson.

What lesson?

After all, a normal student in Taiwan has few opportunities to learn English besides textbooks and the magazine subscribed by school owing to the stress of studying other subjects.

After all, a normal student in Taiwan has few opportunities to learn English besides in textbooks and magazines subscribed by the school.

The phrase "owing to the stress" etc. doesn't make much sense here.

I've read an instruction that tells of some skills about how to improve the reading ability.

I've read an instruction that talks about certain skills on how to improve one's reading ability.

However, it is a big PITY that I can't read a lot. It is very sarcastic simultaneously.

Read a lot ...... of what? Materials? Also, is the word you're looking for "ironic"? Sarcastic is usually used to describe someone's ATTITUDE, not a situation.

No matter what, I am in appreciation of your advice, and I will try my level best to keep improving my English ability.

Regardless, I am appreciative of your advice and will try my very best to keep improving my English ability.

------------------

Personal comment:

Man, justin. Why are you always so condescending? Balie's done quite a good job for an ESL learner, and without being in an English-speaking environment. Give him a rest.

Justin meant that the best way in learning English, or rather, a language is to naturalise it. Use it as part of your daily life. This is true but you shouldn't say that Balie's way of learning is incorrect either. It's the best he could do (and done very well for that matter) considering his environment. What Balie SHOULD do now is, as you've said, try to incorporate English more into his daily life, such as watching movies without subtitles, talk to people in English and so on and so forth. Besides learning the grammar rules, as he had done thus far, he must begin to naturalise it into his language system and hopefully, eventually, does not need to think about the rules anymore when speaking/writing English. You shouldn't tell him to ditch his way since I think it's done him a lot of good but yes, maybe add the extra step of trying to naturalise what you've learned in textbook. With the two-part combo, improvement will be rapid.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
  • 3 weeks later...

benifits of using fancy words:

- makes you smart and avoids you to utter something foolish like "force her body to breathe by pressing her beast gently at a definite interval of approximately 5 seconds" instead of "do cardiopulmonary resuscitation". In this sense words that are defined well belongs and was more appropriate. (realistic translation: score higher on English exams.)

- avoids clutter or monotonousmess. more diverse your vocabulary, more likely you can relate them. (realistic translation: score higher on English exams.)

- makes you more responsive while accessing the language; accelerates your paperwork and makes you eloquent. (realistic translation: score higher on English exams.)

- saves precious paper, effort and time when you're writing an essay for exam. e.g.: SAT exams allow you only to do 2 pages, in less than 30 minutes. (realistic translation: score higher on English exams.)

detriments of using fancy words:

- those words may not be widely-known, i.e., inappropriate tone due to wrong assumption of target audiences.

- bombastic outcome, or say "inflated" articles, if you use them too much and too often.

That's it. (ignore text in parentheses, please)

Anyway, learning in an natural pace may be more comfortable, no matter that was English, Math or something else one's learning. Cnt takes significantly long time and was not that "effective". Quite ironic was that when they strive for effectiveness and cram, some eventually fail to possess and retain (due to rhetoric overdose, there's nothing wrong with the learner).

Land Mark English Magazine(It will change to Ivy when we become 2 grade) and 7000 words......That is not so nasty,but our English teacher takes tests for these readings almost everyday! She seems not to mind our main subjects beside English,when we get a lower grade,she complains that we just study her readings for the test.........

And about the English teacher who quizzes a lot in class, well... Have you ever talked with her over the issue before? Besides, I wonder how well will an English teacher concess that the student's fatigue with her subject was due to some other fatigue from other subjects...

I guess that she meant "you have to study something extracurricular" by complaining that you "just study her readings for the test"

I often think she treats our school as an English cram school.

To be precise, "I often think that she treats us as an English cram school does". In my opinion, school-teacher relations have no direct bond with teacher-student relations.

Add them all up, you'll find not only you have huge ranges, other schools as well.

2 possible interpretations: "by studying those extracurricular materials, you'll " ...

a) "... be more knowledgeable than average students."

b) "... be like those students of other schools."

Note: Please put quotation marks around book titles. I almost thought you've mentioned 2 titles there - "Dixon" and "Concept & Comment".

Actually, they're two books, I guess. And it was Dixson's Essential Idioms in English according to my Longman one. (ISBN:0-13-141176-4)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Realistic translation: score higher on English exams.

Maybe it is what we are force to pursue, except for those who understand how to build themselves a meaningful life. The process of learning is interesting; however, when it comes to examinations, everything will be transformed into a boring matter.

Moreover, I agree to read more extracurricular materials to broaden our horizons. By doing this, we can gain more subtle insights into everything surrounded us. Simultaneously, it will also help with your examinations.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
Maybe it is what we are forced to pursue, except for those who understand how to build themselves a meaningful life. The process of learning is interesting; however, when it comes to examinations, everything will be transformed into a boring matter.

Moreover, I agree to read more extracurricular materials to broaden our horizons. By doing this, we can gain more subtle insights into everything surrounded us. Simultaneously, it will also help with your examinations.

who understand how to build themselves a meaningful life may be not

who is able to build themselves a meaningful life.

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
That is not so nasty,but our English teacher takes tests for these readings almost everyday! She seems not to mind our main subjects beside English,when we get a lower grade,she complains that we just study her readings for the test.........

when our performance is not very well,she still complains about our studying altitude

If you have that so-called "unappropriate" attitude, look after it. If you don't, then what's the matter? Learn to ignore.

I often think she considers our school work as an English cram school.......

You don't have to go to one then. She already saves the tuition !

Ernnnn

In my class, two per week (with approximately 60 questions & one essay) at the moment.

Vocabulary, cloze, writing...how to improve it? You get the idea. And your score will tell you how you are (No one really cares by the way).

However, our English teacher likes to find some jobs for our Xerox machine- worker. He's another type of Santa (non grata one), who brings AT LEAST 6 peices of paper every day (average, more specifically, 10 peices). We all wonders how many trees our class (or HE) has cut.

No one really knows what those pieces are. Useless.

We decide to give him a pack of seeds as his b-day present 一_一狠

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站
If you have that so-called "unappropriate" attitude, look after it. If you don't, then what's the matter? Learn to ignore.

You don't have to go to one then. She already saves the tuition !

Ernnnn

In my class, two per week (with approximately 60 questions & one essay) at the moment.

Vocabulary, cloze, writing...how to improve it? You get the idea. And your score will tell you how you are (No one really cares by the way).

However, our English teacher likes to find some jobs for our Xerox machine- worker. He's another type of Santa (non grata one), who brings AT LEAST 6 peices of paper every day (average, more specifically, 10 peices). We all wonders how many trees our class (or HE) has cut.

No one really knows what those pieces are. Useless.

We decide to give him a pack of seeds as his b-day present 一_一狠

I actually laughed over this, it was a brilliant description.

Xerox machine- worker = Xerox operator

who brings ... = who brings us

We all wonders = We all wonder

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

Well, if the school is FORCING you to learn at its pace and within the boundaries they set, then I say you're in a school that doesn't understand the true meaning of education.

A school that allows flexibility and willing to stretch when given the chance and if deemed necessary according to the ability of their students, then it won't be too bad.

Though, thinking about it, I guess the real reason as to the existence of schools is so there's an organisation that can engineer more slaves for the country. :p (and the world for that matter)

鏈接文章
分享到其他網站

請登入後來留意見

在登入之後,您才能留意見

立即登入